To re-ring or not?

Old 12-03-2008, 01:01 AM
triniemi
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by bjuice
i could not remeber a situation where somewhere could have felt or saw a flaw before it failed...
My friend noticed a valve lash in his Super Comp BBC that had to be tightened again and again. Pulled the intake an the roller lifter was almost dead. You could really feel the roughness in the needle bearings when you rolled it in hand. I guess he was just lucky to spot it in time.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:42 AM
tcarda
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by triniemi
Originally Posted by bjuice
i could not remeber a situation where somewhere could have felt or saw a flaw before it failed...
My friend noticed a valve lash in his Super Comp BBC that had to be tightened again and again. Pulled the intake an the roller lifter was almost dead. You could really feel the roughness in the needle bearings when you rolled it in hand. I guess he was just lucky to spot it in time.
I had a friend that had the same thing happen. One of his lifters went out of adjustment .002 and after a couple more passes it was out of adjustment again. When he got home he pulled it apart and that lifter was going bad.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:15 AM
ARUSSELL
MASTER BUILDER

I run a soild roller on the street for my daily driver and just for safty I replace lifters and springs once a year, dont even check to see if they can go longer.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:31 PM
poncholvr
MASTER BUILDER

i had 7 hydrolic lifters turn into solids , dont know how
motor ran great for a few weeks, thn stomped it bent 7 valves,7 pushrods 7 lifters,and the poly lock nuts were trashed,and rocker studs were stripped

time for arp,and comp cams lifters,costly ops:
Old 12-04-2008, 08:27 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by poncholvr
motor ran great for a few weeks, thn stomped it bent 7 valves,7 pushrods 7 lifters,and the poly lock nuts were trashed,and rocker studs were stripped

Sounds like an electrical problem.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:21 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74
Originally Posted by poncholvr

Sounds like an electrical problem.
I read if you can't fix it with a hammer it must be an electrical problem :lol: :lol:

Curtis
Old 12-04-2008, 10:59 AM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

I would stay away from the Comp lifters from what i've seen.

my 2 cents
Old 12-07-2008, 11:42 AM
scrommer
SHOW GUEST

Default Re ring or not

The simplest way to trace a problem when doing a leakdown test is with your ear! 12% is way too much for a race application and when doing each cyl. always listen for blowby at three locations. The intake port, the exhaust port, and the crankcase. Once you start comparing sounds from good cylinders to bad you will know where your problems are. Intake noise, probably needs some valve or seat work. Same with noisy exhaust. Noisy crankase means ring problems. Of course I am assuming the engine is on a stand to make this fairly simple. Phil D.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by BEAST477

my 2 cents
x2 the one I had break was a comp and was not very old either
Old 12-07-2008, 01:54 PM
tcarda
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by Tod74
Originally Posted by BEAST477

my 2 cents
x2 the one I had break was a comp and was not very old either
I have Comp lifters with about 80 passes on them and from what I am reading I think I had better upgrade them before one fails and ruins a lot of other parts. What are some good lifters to get and where are the best prices on them for a BBC? Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -