Nitromethane

Old 05-24-2007, 08:33 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Very Good advise dart 441..sounds like you have dabbled in this stuff before.... 8) 8) 8)

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 05-24-2007, 08:52 AM
dcarr511
JUNIOR BUILDER

something to point is that the % is figured by weight not by volume
Old 06-19-2007, 09:24 AM
Bubstr
JUNIOR BUILDER

Dart 441 gave you good information. to run much of this you need the compression ratio to come way down.

Some other things to think about is when engine temps go up, the air/fuel ratio demands change. You need to fatten it up a bit to cool your combustion area. Also not only the cost of fuel the overall cost per run goes way up. you must take into account tires bottom ends and drive train stress. Back in the 60s the cost per run went up by about 200 dollars a run, and fuel was just small part of it then. It must be astronomical price now.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:26 PM
lmchevy
JUNIOR BUILDER

Can you run a % of nitromethane with gas.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:07 AM
dart441
APPRENTICE

RE: GASOLINE
Doesn't mix well and requires a third agent added as well. Acetone helps quite a bit I am told but have no experience in this area. When you start mixing more than 2 or 3 different chemicals it gets hard to determine what is happening in terms of evap points, flammability, corrosiveness, etc. Very easy to get into trouble or damage things. Unless you have an alky carb you probably aren't going to be able to get enough mixture into the engine with available gas jets if you want any real percentage. That said, small percentages just don't wake up an engine like 50% and up does.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Bubstr
JUNIOR BUILDER

Running Nitro with gas or Alky with gas is bad idea. Back in the day they called it watermelon juice and you knew who had it because they was the guy shaking the hey out of their race car. to get it to run. You do need a third agent to keep the mix from separating, and it doesn't always do a great job. If you are planing on venturing into the nitro fuel racing, you need to optimize the engine so it can handle the big pressures and feed it enough fuel. If you run mixes other that what everyone else does, your going to have trouble getting a tune up that will keep you engine alive much less making good power. The top fuel guys are still complaining about NHRA dropping % a year ago. It threw out years of tuning data. If you do try nitro, you are almost forced to go to a good mecanical injection or a very programmable EFI to make it work. Also a lot hotter spark than the average NA car uses.
I can see the enticement to use it, it makes a big pop and smells so good. I really appreciate the guys like Austin Coil that went threw all the engines that went BANG when they couldn't afford it, to learn their craft. If this is for you jump in and get your feet wet. Playing with low %s is not going to help save engines but in fact hurt them.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:41 PM
nofear57
EXPERT BUILDER

Well I guess nitro might be out of the question with my combo. 13.5:1 compression is to much on the plate for nitro. Only running 20 or 30% nitro and not gaining much horse power isn't worth exploding my engine over. Soooo...........adding nitrous is the next thing on the menu. My engine has a Enderle Bugcatcher Injection set up on a Edelbrock tunnel ram intake. I phoned NOS about adding nitrous tubes through the top of the intake like a plate system(drilling holes near the top of the intake and installing the tubes lenght wise). I have a cheater single carb system that I could use the solenoids from. Nos said the cheater has bigger solenoids for higher shots of nitrous and it would be ok to use but they 'don't sell' long tubes for me to use this way.
Does anyone know where I could buy tubes that I could use to set up a nitrous system this way?
Old 06-27-2007, 07:26 AM
dart441
APPRENTICE

Contact James Munroe (Killer Ron's) and see if he has any tubes for a Primer Plus for an Enderle hat that aren't already drilled.They run from left to right through the hat injector holes. With a big plenum like the t'ram hats have two should suffice for nitrous and other two for richening fuel. Don't know what size to drill them though. Maybe someone else can tell you.
Duane
Old 06-27-2007, 09:04 AM
nofear57
EXPERT BUILDER

I think if the tubes run from the front of the engine to the back it would be better for distribution to the cylinders. Maybe they have long tube to cut down to size. Thanks I'll give them a call.
NOS gave me the correct specs to drill the right size diameter hole in the tubes and also the correct tube sizes to use.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:26 PM
nofear57
EXPERT BUILDER

Well I was able to try a 100 shot of nitrous on my engine at the end of the racing season and it worked out less than I expected. My engine isn't set up for nitrous but I thought a 100 shot wouldn't hurt. I ran a single nitrous line the length of my tunnel ram at the top and made sure the holes shot directly to each intake port of the head. I never ran another line for extra gas or alcohol. All I did was run a smaller pill to richen up the alcohol to the engine. The first pass I hit the button 300ft out and she pulled smooth until the last 200ft and then it started poping out the exhaust,so I shut it off. For the second pass I richened up the alcohol a little more but the same results but not as hard a pop. So for the third pass I richened up the alcohol even more and the popping stopped. I never fryed anything and the spark plugs still looked perfect. The end results,I ran a 8.13secs at 163mph compared to my previous best of 8.24secs at 157mph without nitrous. Its not a 7 but it is better. The engine isn't set up for nitrous so thats about it for experiencing nitrous on my engine! Maybe I should have added another line for racing fuel and my time would have be better?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -