Tuning a toilet!!

Old 07-26-2008, 03:26 PM
altune
MASTER BUILDER

I can use a spark plug type leak down tester?
I have one already.
thanks
Al
Old 07-26-2008, 03:58 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

I PUT ONE OF THOSE PLASTIC LINERS IN THE TOP TANK AND DON'T USE NEAR AS MUCH LIQUID NOW!!-BUT----I HAVE TO THROTTLE IT TWICE ALOT OF TIMES TO MAKE IT WORK RIGHT!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LIVELY
Old 07-26-2008, 04:44 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by altune
I can use a spark plug type leak down tester?
I have one already.
thanks
Al
Yep all they are, are 2 pressure gages, one for input of the 100lbs air, hook a hose to the opposite gage, then hook that to the valve body infeed, open the gage and the difference between one gage and the other is the amount of leakdown, adjust the barrel valve until you are reading 80lbs. Start there. Once i have that reading and fire the car up, i keep backing it down until it burps when you crack the throttle, i then start cranking it up 2 flats at a time until it doesn't burp.
I then take another leakdown reading and i know exactly what the leakdown is and what the system likes. I know that James Monroe (from Rons), likes another method and i'm sure it works, i just haven't tried it. He sets the barrel valve for good response, then comes up on the converter to see how high it will stall. He then backs it down about a 1/2 turn and again checks how high it will stall, then goes the opposite way and checks the stall. Then picks an adjustment to the highest stall.
Once you have that setting correct the milking will not be bad at all unless you let it idle a lot. I also drive to the staging area with the shutoff valve half open too put heat in the motor.
On the hilborn stacks, i run an idle bypass set at 15lbs, the idle bypass closes off at 15/20% throttle.

JMO

Zip.
Mine is set on 17% because that's what it likes
Old 07-27-2008, 02:26 PM
altune
MASTER BUILDER

Makes alot of sense.
I will get the leakdown done and see what I get.
If the egt's are too high when the leak down is set, then I have to have a weak pump at idle, Yes?
I use a primer system on race fuel so no problem on milking to the line etc, and return.
Al
Old 07-27-2008, 08:33 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

IMO, if the leakdown is set pretty close, i wouldn't worry about the idle EGT, i would go instead to the full throttle run and keep the EGT in the neighborhood of 1200 degrees with the jetting/return pill. that's the way i do it, and most of the people i know who run injection. some cars run better with a little higher than 1200 degrees, some run better with a little less. Obviously the higher egt reading the leaner running engine, and actually better in most cases.

JMO and experiences

Zip.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:28 PM
altune
MASTER BUILDER

Thanks ZIp
Good advice
Al