dam pooch

Old 11-06-2009, 06:50 PM
corey454
APPRENTICE

Default pooch

Ok yes it does get wide open throttle plugs are new and gapped at 40 and wen I say won't rpm I mean car comes off brake drops to 3500 rpm takes roughly 200 ft to climb to 5grand drops to 4grand after the shift and takes the rest of the quarter to clomb to 5 grand with a 586 gear
Old 11-06-2009, 06:54 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

Sounds like you might have too tall of gears either in the tranny or the rear. JMO
Old 11-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

I don't think the gears are too high @ 586... any poping at WOT? I wonder if you are getting sufficent fuel delivery under WOT/Load... squirters?? No pinging at any rpm @ load WOT? Seems like not enough throttle, too much fuel or too little...
Old 11-09-2009, 07:38 AM
corey454
APPRENTICE

Default pooch

ok somthing i found was the msd power and ground ran from the front to the rear of the car and had several splices and the ground wire went from 10gage to 14 so i remedyd that by grounding it to the engine and adding a #2 ground wire from the motor to tha chassis and ran the power lead to the starter now the wires are only roughly 2ft long it starts and idles better and turns more rpm when reving the throttle however it still seems under powered to me under a load??????
Old 11-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Corey,

One thing came to my mind... narrowing this down more. What do the plugs look like? Do they appear rich/lean? I guess what I am saying is that we do not know if this is a fuel delivery issue or a electric issue yet. Basically your motor is operating similar to lack of overall throttle... but not sure yet if it is a spark problem, or fuel issue directly/vacuum issue... I have chased my tail many times bouncing all over from one suspicion to the next w/o being certain of where I started.... it does sound like your box is lacking delivery of spark @ WOT as a possibility... I wonder if you have a vacuum problem of some kind; or lack there of.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:41 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

The brakes aren't dragging are they?

You say it revs up fine in neutral/park but not down the track.
heres a few more suggestions.

Timing curve may be way off, or not enough advance.
Weak spark, lack of fuel E.G. not enough fuel pressure, improper fuel bowl levels, under or over jetted.
Sounds like your making some headway with the ignition, that shoudl help.

I've seen old or just plane wrong plugs/improper plug gaps cause poor performance.

Try some NGK's heat range #8 gapped no wider than .030

Keep pluging away.

Got any video's of the car going down the track?
Old 11-14-2009, 07:52 AM
corey454
APPRENTICE

Default pooch

ok folks think i may have found it it appears to me to have sucked the intake gasket from the bottom side il let you know how it comes out
Old 11-16-2009, 09:53 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Good.... let us know. Dave
Old 11-19-2009, 08:06 AM
corey454
APPRENTICE

Default pooch

ok guys i talked to msd and according to theyr tech guy there is supposed to be a patch cable that comes with a msd box that connects the box to the dist. well my car doesnt have that patch the box is mounted to the fire wall so close to the distributor that it plugs directly to the box well according to them i need this patch cable and to move the box away from the distributor and to keep the wiring away from other wires he says it sounds to him like the box is picking up what he called noise from the distributor causing the box to not pick up the signal correctly thus limiting my rpm so i have a cable comin will yell back after i try it anyone got any input on that?
Old 11-19-2009, 09:24 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Yep put the box inside the car and out of the engine compartment, mount it on viberation shock stands that MSD sells, the box will run cooler and work much better for you.

JMO

Zip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -