Hitting transbrake by mistake

Old 09-26-2009, 05:12 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I've hit the button in a buddies car at about 100mph in low gear, button was close to the edge of the indy wheel talk about stopping in a hurry !!

Its not possible to go on the brake in 2nd gear unless its a high gear only brake ... which is VERY uncommon but they do make them
Old 09-26-2009, 05:14 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by hammertime
I've hit the button in a buddies car at about 100mph in low gear, button was close to the edge of the indy wheel talk about stopping in a hurry !!

Its not possible to go on the brake in 2nd gear unless its a high gear only brake ... which is VERY uncommon but they do make them
Did you crash? You are alive so I guess it could have been worse...
Old 09-26-2009, 05:54 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74

Did you crash? You are alive so I guess it could have been worse...
I did not .. not to sound like a pro but someone that hadnt been crossed up before in a digger would of slapped a wall that day

I felt horrible being it wasnt my car until we figured out what is was.. and then i found out the lockout was off on tbrake in box
Old 09-27-2009, 05:23 AM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

I am not as concerned about hitting the button during a run as it is far enough away from my thumb. My main concern is while in the pits. Sometimes a guy has to make a few forward and reverse moves to get parked and, I worry that, if I accidentally hit the switch while in first gear, the car would begin it's launch sequence. I did hit the button accidentally once and realized it when the gas pedal dropped to the floor. I shut the car down real quick. My box is set to launch 1.02 seconds after releasing the button. That's not much time if a guy doesn't realize right away that he accidentally hit and released the transbrake button.
It does sound like it can't happen in second gear, so maybe I should always be in second in the pits instead of first.
You would think, if it was possible to accidentally "launch" the car in the pits, you would hear of it happening once or twice.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:28 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

If you hit it by mistake just wait for it to release. I wouldn't put it in 2nd driving around.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:16 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by kod99

I am not as concerned about hitting the button during a run as it is far enough away from my thumb. My main concern is while in the pits. Sometimes a guy has to make a few forward and reverse moves to get parked and, I worry that, if I accidentally hit the switch while in first gear, the car would begin it's launch sequence. I did hit the button accidentally once and realized it when the gas pedal dropped to the floor. I shut the car down real quick. My box is set to launch 1.02 seconds after releasing the button. That's not much time if a guy doesn't realize right away that he accidentally hit and released the transbrake button.
It does sound like it can't happen in second gear, so maybe I should always be in second in the pits instead of first.
You would think, if it was possible to accidentally "launch" the car in the pits, you would hear of it happening once or twice.
you should never be in 2nd in the pits ....

only time that car should be in low gear is when your going to stage
Old 09-27-2009, 06:27 PM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

:?: :?: :?:
Old 09-27-2009, 08:10 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by doorracer

:?: :?: :?:

just for the very reason we are talking about .. transbrake will not come on in second and NO reason to be in 1st
Old 09-27-2009, 09:06 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I'm a little confused here. My trans has an electric shift valve body, and you have to push the button to back up. But if you are in low gear, it doesn't change the throttle peddle at all. In other words unless you step on the gas the rpms never change. Must be the way the MSD is wired that causes this to happen. My trans brake button will come on anytime i push it however it does not lock up in high gear (PG) I did have a manuel turbo 400 that would come on and i did accidently hit it one time, it wasn't funny at about 100 ft. out. That why i now have my trans brake button behind the shifter and no where close to the steering wheel.

JMO

Zip.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:01 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by zipper06
I'm a little confused here. My trans has an electric shift valve body, and you have to push the button to back up. But if you are in low gear, it doesn't change the throttle peddle at all. In other words unless you step on the gas the rpms never change. Must be the way the MSD is wired that causes this to happen. My trans brake button will come on anytime i push it however it does not lock up in high gear (PG) I did have a manuel turbo 400 that would come on and i did accidently hit it one time, it wasn't funny at about 100 ft. out. That why i now have my trans brake button behind the shifter and no where close to the steering wheel.

JMO

Zip.

Zip he has a SLE and they loose all pedal when transbrake is applied and then go full throttle when transbrake comes on. The best way to make sure it doesnt go full throttle is just pull back on the pedal when it looses feeling (unless you have one that keep pressure down to the floor because some do this). The best saftey is to make sure you just have it in 2nd gear the brake should no engage this way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -