Best way to shut down your race car after a pass

Old 08-04-2009, 04:27 PM
elkymann
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Re: going into neutral or worse

Originally Posted by chevyart
be careful elkyman neutral dont live very far away from reverse. i know 2 racers who almost killed themselves (and their cars) by slipping past neutral into reverse. its not hard to do unless you have a safety valve body that wont permit this to happen. i have a hyperflow in my glide and it can go intyo reverse even if i try chevy art
I'm the same as chevyfireball, my trans won't go into rev unless I flip a lever, then squeeze another lever, safety feature ain't no ding dong here, I did my homework with my trans, and not to sound like a smart fart either, I just did the footwork with some of the best trans guys I know here in Detroit, but thanks for your input and thoughts :wink:

ElkyJohn
Old 03-31-2011, 02:24 PM
RAPPTOR23
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Re: Info found

I HAVE A BTE WITH NEW PUMP OIL ROUTING.. WHEN I PUT IT IN NUETRAL AFTER RUN,ITS TAKES 5 SECONDS TO FREE WHEEL. BTE SAID NOT TO DO THE NUERAL ,AFTER RUN.. ALSO, TRANS BRAKE RELEASE IS AS SLOW AS STINK!! THANKS

A TH400, can NEVER be put into nuetral and the engine cut off as what happens is, now the engine is not controlling the drum in the case at 7000 rpm's (as an example engine rpm), and since the driveshaft is now spinning the drum at 2.2 times the speed of the engine that was, at say 7000 rpm's, the drum is now spinning at over 15,000 rpm's and BOOM, there goes your trans.

The powerglide is able to handle this type of shutdown as the internal parts connection are a little different so it is ok to jam your glide in nuetral, and kill the engie to do plug reading at the turnoff of the strip, whoo, got me to thinkin there for a minute :?

Just some info that may help others out later if they don't know what or how to do this that want to read plugs for tuning. Now I know the rest of the story, Paul Harvey, Good Day!!!!

Elkyman
John[/quote]
Old 03-31-2011, 05:35 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

A TH400 should never be put into neutral. When you does this the transmission spins at 2 times the rate of the engine rpm. They are not designed for that.

However, you can get a "clean neutral" valve body. This is available from most companies. It adds and extra neutral gear that allows the car to safely be shifted into a neutral gear while release the high gear assembly so the transmission does not spin at twice the rate of the engine RPM.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:26 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Sorry to bring up an old thread,but I've been away for a while.I run a TH400 and my transmission guy told me the same thing about the high gear burnout,so that is what i do. My question is about the guys saying never put one in to neutral.Now,I'm not trying to split hairs here,but after you do a burnout and put the trans into to neutral,i usually rev mine at the prestage light to clean it out. Nothing crazy,just 1 or 2 quick raps to about 4 grand or so. Is this a no-no?

btw-my th400 had 186,000 miles on all original parts when i put a good set of clutches and a reverse pattern valvebody in it.All other parts are still original.I've put alot of passes on this transmission and am very amazed at its reliability.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:10 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

your fine with the quick rpm spike when cleaning it out before staging.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:09 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Cool! Thanks for the reply
Old 03-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Loren1968
SHOW GUEST

Default trans at burnout

Hi guys I'm new to this site and was looking over the Form on the hole trans burnout. Now I'm not a real expert on trans, but I did rebuild them for 7 years and what I under stand Is don't let the trans shift in a burn out. It's very similar to reving an engine with no load on it. Also as the trans shifts in a burnout the wheels can momentary change direction as the no load shift happens this will hurt a sprags, drums , and also differentials. The way I was told is the trans is to help push the car and in a burnout your really holding all the weight back So everything turning has no load on it. Also with the shutting down and neutral in the traps I agree with that, but if you have a old and I mean old trans with a rear pump in it you technically could do this without blowing it up. But then you could also push it to start it like a stick, but most don't have that but I thing a glide does if I remember correctly. Not sure. All I do know is that my car with 800hp and a 727 not shifting in a burnout does not blow up. Thank you for hearing my thoughts on this hope it helps.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:00 AM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: trans at burnout

Originally Posted by Loren1968
but if you have a old and I mean old trans with a rear pump in it you technically could do this without blowing it up. But then you could also push it to start it like a stick, but most don't have that but I thing a glide does if I remember correctly. .
yes....the old cast iron glides had the rear pump and could be push started like a standard :wink: