will 8" backingplate work on 9"

Old 02-14-2008, 12:56 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Default will 8" backingplate work on 9"

I have a 9" housing with the small ford,early mustang housing ends.My friend has a 8" housing and everything measures the same.The backing plate bolt pattern,bolt diameter,outside bearing diameter and wheel bolt circle all look the same.Any reason they won't work?This is my first Ford rearend and I don't have a clue.Thanks for any info
Old 02-16-2008, 02:52 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

As long as the housing end bolt patterns are the same and there's no clearnce issues, should work fine.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:15 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Yeah,I figured as long as the housing matched it didn't matter which center chunk it had in it.Now I'm trying to figure out the rest of it.Called Advance Auto to try and get some drums for it,the guy said I needed to know if the car had discs on the front or not and also which width shoe I needed.(deep breath)Why does Ford have to have some many different variations on the same parts :?
Old 02-16-2008, 03:45 PM
v8Fiero
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by olds48
Why does Ford have to have some many different variations on the same parts :?
thats why your supposed to buy GM

edit: hey, check out my new avitar!
Old 02-16-2008, 05:37 PM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

Originally Posted by v8Fiero
Originally Posted by olds48
Why does Ford have to have some many different variations on the same parts :?
thats why your supposed to buy GM

edit: hey, check out my new avitar!
Just spring for some disc brakes and be done with it....
Old 02-16-2008, 06:21 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default Backing plate

I converted my 10 inch drums on the 9 inch housing to an 11 inch vented drum from a 72 LTD. The backing plates line right up. I used the stock Vega disc brakes in the front after they were redrilled by Moser to a 4 1/2 Ford pattern to facilitate five lugs. They had to be 4 1/2 due to the design of the rotors. Ran a master cylinder for a 69 Camaro with disc brakes. Had a proportioning valve to adjust the car for better braking but never installed it. The brakes work great and don't fade or pull. A lot of Ford parts are interchangeable, you just have to see what works. Hope this will help you.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:16 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

I have the small housing ends and it seems that kinda limits me on what stock parts I can play around with.Blittle,I wish I could go disc,just afraid it won't jive with my 48 model drums on the front.V8Fiero, like the new avatar!!!Yes,I shoulda went GM.Was gonna cut down a Dana 60 I got lying around but my nieghbor had the 9" in the back of his shop,when we measured it,perfect fit!Hard to beat FREEBIES
Old 02-18-2008, 12:23 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Anybody know where you can buy entire brake kits,matched set of backplates,drums,shoes....for a decent price?Cheapest I've found is Currie and they want $300.I don't think they sell a kit for my housing ends,though