GM Tech Needed For Info On Camaro Security System..I PAY!!!

Old 05-06-2007, 05:20 PM
lotsof454sss
DYNO OPERATOR

Default GM Tech Needed For Info On Camaro Security System..I PAY!!!

I need some info on the security system used on a 1993 and 1999 Camaro...I am having intermittent problems and would like to bypass or disconnect the systems....Can it be done?? I will pay for help in this subject if need be...Thanks
Old 05-17-2007, 08:40 AM
novassx
APPRENTICE

What you need to do, is to fool the system. You will need to find the resistance of your pellet key and install a resister of that value. There are 15 differant choises. Cut the 2 small wires at the bottom of the colume that come from the ignition switch. Install the resister there, do not use the wires from the switch any more. The problem is usually the switch or the wires from the switch. Please don't send Cash! Send Race Car parts! :lol: Gerald
Old 05-17-2007, 06:39 PM
lotsof454sss
DYNO OPERATOR

I appreciate your input but the 2 wires your referring to have a connector all you have to do is unplug it and place the resistor in the connector...The 99 model has had the switch replaced prior to me owning it so sometime it cranks and some time it does not..It is also missing the radio which may be part of my problem..The 93 just shuts the fuel pump down when your going down the road..Pull over and wait a bit and it will crank and run....I really do appreciate your advise but as they say, done been there and done that.....There has got to be a GM Tech somewhere on the internet that works on these things...I have posted in alot of places but so far no luck...Thanks again..Perry
Old 05-17-2007, 09:15 PM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

Lotsof454ss, on the 93, I acquired one that was doing this, the fuel pump was bad. They had gotten one from a 'ahem' discount national chain and it did the same thing. It had pressure, just not quite enough. A trip to the dealer for a Genuine pump cured it. The difference in fuel pressure was only about 5 psi. Don't know if this will help. just throwing it out there.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:48 AM
lotsof454sss
DYNO OPERATOR

Thanks Terry and I will call and price a pump, but before I invest in it I am going to run the other avenues...Would yours just die and then in a few minutes crank and go without problems..This one does..
Old 05-18-2007, 08:18 PM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

Yes sir. Had a truck that did this also recently. Good luck.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:18 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

FUEL PUMP----HAVE SEEN IT TWICE IN THE LAST 2 MONTHS IN MY FRIENDS CARS- :shock: :shock: --MY SON'S T BIRD ACTED UP AND IT WAS THE ROLL OVER PROTECTOR SWITCH IN THE TRUNK---JUST MY DEALINGS I HAVE FOUND LATELY 8) 8) 8)
Old 05-19-2007, 05:03 AM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

On the one we are likely talking about a fuel pump like everyone else is saying. It is possible it could be a fuel pump relay but more likely to be the pump. Those will run intermittently when they are going out.

Do not put anything in there except for the original Delco/Delfire fuel pump. You will needyour VIN to get the right one.

Ed
Old 05-19-2007, 06:42 AM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

THAT IS RIGHT---DO NOT USE AN AFTERMARKET PUMP IN THIS---HAVE SEEN SEVERAL FALURES IN THE LAST YEAR OF JUNK COPIES ops: :idea:
Old 05-19-2007, 08:25 AM
novassx
APPRENTICE

I work at a GM dealership in service with 8 techs. The most comon is the fuel pump, then security system ( ignition switch), then the distibutor. Mostly fuel pumps will die, and car will not start unless you give the tank a wack. You say you have to wait and then it starts. When you turn the key to the on position when the car is working fine, can you hear the pump for a few seconds? And when it dies can you still hear it when you try to start it. When after market pumps have been installed, they can do some wierd stuff. But the originals are fairly consistant. They just stop working. Fuel pressure is also very important as said before. Plugged filters take out fuel pumps and plugged filters reduce pressure as you know. If you need specific info on anything, just ask. Just to comfirm, "You do" have a resistor at the connector at the steering colume to by pass the ignition switch?. And was it there when you bought the car? It must be within 10% of the pelet keys value. Normaly when this fails, the car will just barely start and turn off with security light flashing. Need to elimiate 1 thing at a time. You sound like you fusterated! I'll be back at work on wednesday. You can email me there if you like for any specifics or bulletins. I could copy and paste to a replie email. I will need the last 8 #'s of the vin. Gerald
[email protected]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -