piston abd bearing coatings

Old 12-01-2007, 12:33 PM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

Default piston abd bearing coatings

whats the pros and cons on coating pistons and bearings..also what coating should a person use on pistons that is blown and alky injected?i've heard it was wast of money and i've heard best investment you can make..so what is it? :? :?
Old 12-02-2007, 09:49 AM
Racefab57
DYNO OPERATOR

Hotrod, coatings are not a new thing, just one catching one, I think their a good thing especally in tough places like pistons, bearings, etc.I think they work. Some big teams are using them more and more!!! Some small teams are to. (I sound like a dam commercial) but ive begain to use them and ill see for sure!!! I say try using them in one good spot to try to ellaluate them,use more as can afford. thats my curman for the day!!! David.p.s. I lived about 20 miles from swain coatings and talked in person with them and saw the coatings and applications in person ,NICE ...
Old 12-07-2007, 07:21 AM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

i've been on net and there is hundreds of different coating companys it seems..i've never delt with the coatings on inernal engine parts yet and don't won't to pick the wrong coatings and have them flake off first time i start engine.made this misstake once with headers.found a very reasonable priced coating company .used them.week after i put them on my show car they started turning color and looked like sh*&^;;had to send them to JETHOT COATING [should done this first]they looked as they did when i first got them 3 years later..i don't want to make same misstake again on engine parts.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:18 AM
billhendren
MASTER BUILDER

We use Swain,expensive but worth it.no problems with there coatings in over 15 years.Bill
Old 12-07-2007, 11:42 AM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

there coating holds up to alky engine that is blown?
Old 01-18-2008, 04:17 PM
poncholvr
MASTER BUILDER

i wish i new more my self - but if you think about it think about the nonstick cooking pans we have- they really work-(i know bad choice in a way)
but they do take heat with out flaking off ,and we have a lot better technology now than we did
so the technology with a coated piston,and bearings sounds like a great thing

i just worried about the coating coming off the bearings,and leaving a different, size ect..
Old 01-18-2008, 05:52 PM
signsbyesa
RACING JUNKIE

and now days you can coat everything crank, rods, all enternal parts
and makes a longer lasting block 8)