question put metal plates on the floor of their trailer

Old 02-26-2011, 05:15 AM
bixblk
DYNO OPERATOR

Default ok

cool thanks , probably do the flat plate. My chevelle is not as strong/powefull as the above cars, but I still drive it hard so thanks
Old 02-27-2011, 05:36 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Bruce thanks for the info. I talked to a buddy as to why they change the tires and shocks on their pro stock cars. You are correct in it is to help save tires but it is not a tread/traction issue it is to save the sidewalls. Cars are parked on the tires at the race event only and on pit mats. They attempt to keep the tire as clean as possible. He also said that the floor in his trailer is not a smooth surface and they have left cars in the trailer over night and have had a pattern in the morning in the tread area but have no data showing that as a problem in traction. He said some of the old timers do as you talked about and won't let the tire touch anything put pit mat, pit road and race track. They will change them out every night before loading the trailer as well. He said their used to be a team that had tires they would tow to the back of the lanes with and then switch out. They would go thru tech after the run and change out to tow back.

I think this is a real good question or topic of discussion. When I get in to work tomorrow I am going to send an email out to the tire companies to get their thoughts on trailer surfaces. I never really considered this an issue but if it can play a part in better consistency I will rip the diamond plate out.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:44 AM
bixblk
DYNO OPERATOR

Default good info

again thanks guys,
my trailer hauls a hard running street 70 chevelle, no where near as strong as the above cars, but any thing will help. That is why I am asking ....This is all good topics and valid info. Please continue to post info and or opinions,all of which are good.It is still too cold to repair the tile and install plates in chicago, so I will wait for the weather to let me do my trailer cosmetics . I also have a tile that needs replacing because of a minor gas leak on my pit vehicle (quad) so that tile replacement will wait , or I may try somthing under that vehicle as well or better yet fix the leak ?????
Jeff M. 708-308-0282
Old 02-27-2011, 03:15 PM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Question

Tread plate is made for places that need a grip and to prevent slips when wet.

I don't like plain aluminum sheet in a trailer for that reason. If it gets wet or you have water on your shoes, you could slip on it. So can your car if it isn't tied down tight.

I doubt the tread plate will ever hurt a tire front or back. One of our local tracks still has rock pit roads and I see no harm from that.

I'd be more concerned about my coil over shocks and tire sidewalls that the tread.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:13 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Question

Originally Posted by markdunlap
Tread plate is made for places that need a grip and to prevent slips when wet.
Hello Mark, mine is actually not to prevent slipping when wet, its for tires marking up the floors during sitting for a long period or during towing.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:16 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I may be the only one that does this, but i have black and white checker board kitchen type vinyl 1 piece, not tiles. I then have 4 front door mats carpet with rubber backing where the car sits when locked down. It may not be for everyone, but it works for me. I will say one thing if you ever lose a trans, you will be dogone glad you had a vinyl rather than a wood floor.

JMO

Zip.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:25 AM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

Zip that is the samething i have on the floor of my trailer, I learned the hard way a few years back when i lost a rearend.

Mark