Whats the best type of car to start out with?

Old 11-20-2008, 10:52 PM
eddie1963
SENIOR BUILDER

Default nice car nice set up AD 1357108 NICE FOR THE PRICE

AD 1357108 this is a friends car and trailer [ paint is different] great turn key package deal. call him 1-937-372-2178, tell him EDDIE emailed you. this is a great car not exactly a starter car but a simple operation goes straight solid dependable consistant car.... you couldnt build the drivetrain for asking price. thanks , tell him EDDIE SAID TO CALL HIS NAME IS RICH. HIS SON HAS THE CAR LISTED BUT RICH IS THE BEST CONTACT PERSON HIS SON IS THE DRIVER. HE IS LOOKING FOR A STREET CAR TO REPLACE THIS CAR. I THINK YOU WOULD BE AMAZED AT WHAT THIS CAR AND OPERATION ACTUALLY IS.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:57 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: nice car nice set up AD 1357108 NICE FOR THE PRICE

Originally Posted by edsrod
AD 1357108 this is a friends car and trailer [ paint is different] great turn key package deal. call him 1-937-372-2178, tell him EDDIE emailed you. this is a great car not exactly a starter car but a simple operation goes straight solid dependable consistant car.... you couldnt build the drivetrain for asking price. thanks , tell him EDDIE SAID TO CALL HIS NAME IS RICH. HIS SON HAS THE CAR LISTED BUT RICH IS THE BEST CONTACT PERSON HIS SON IS THE DRIVER. HE IS LOOKING FOR A STREET CAR TO REPLACE THIS CAR. I THINK YOU WOULD BE AMAZED AT WHAT THIS CAR AND OPERATION ACTUALLY IS.
Surely don't like the paint job, but if everything else is good it doesn't sound bad.

Zip.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:59 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Car

Originally Posted by bbchevy
10 Grand could get you in the 10's?the Economy is a S#!T Situation,the Deals are out there?Digging them out is TUFFFF Part.........?
Tod,
Your Yard looks like Mine!
In Othere Words,it LOOKS like it SNOWED C H E V I E S !
Later
G 8)
ThaT Duece is LOOKING SWEET!
That was right after the floods this summer...had to empty everything into yard and cleanmud out of garage and such.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:21 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Anything Chevy because their cheaper to build, more plentiful, more reliable, easier to work on etc, etc.
Plus and you won't feel like a black sheep or the lone ranger when you pull up at the track. You'll get more help and ideas from fellow racers with a Chevy too.

Keep the GTX, it might just be a good IRA choice later.

Now is the time to buy, don't wait till racing season starts, everybody and their mother is selling a racecar now.
Goodluck, Charles
Old 11-21-2008, 05:18 AM
vega34
SENIOR BUILDER

for 8,000 you can run in the 6.70s in the 1/8 ad # 1359714 all it needs is a driver,if you want to see more pictures look at my racespace profile,,,steve
Old 11-21-2008, 08:12 AM
ashtrak
MASTER BUILDER

charles is right, if you have cash you have people out of work and holidays coming so cash talks a good deal now
Old 11-21-2008, 03:24 PM
jim383
JOURNEYMAN

Rob.buy yourself a front eng.rail dragster if you want to have some fun and go fast cheap.that was my first car it ran 6.50@103, 1/8 mi. If you can fire a rifle you can drive one,[just aim it and hang-on]
Old 11-21-2008, 04:18 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by jim383
Rob.buy yourself a front eng.rail dragster if you want to have some fun and go fast cheap.that was my first car it ran 6.50@103, 1/8 mi. If you can fire a rifle you can drive one,[just aim it and hang-on]

i agree 100%..thats why i would not have one.( no offense to dragster owners)..they are just plain boring to me (imo)..i don't even watch them at the track unless they are a 4.50 or quicker ...not to mention ya can't store them in a normal garage or haul them on a normal car hauler !..again just my opinion

If i were you i would go with a Door car ( stock suspension) ..you can still find 2nd generation camaro's out there resonable.....just like building the foundation of a nice house..i would sink most of money in the running gear..good rear housing,axles,drive shaft,slapper bars or Caltracks,Slide a-link ( bolt on sstuff)......you can always grow into your running gear...
go with whatever motor comes with car or some cheap chevy small block and learn how to drive (strip) and track manners....up grade engine as you grow into sport..

Just my opinion..

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-21-2008, 06:00 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Default What car

I would go with a mid-size Chevy as it is the easiest and cheapest to build and race. Preferably with a small block. After you run the car awhile you can add a big block and pick it up some more. My reasoning is that too much car too soon is dangerous for you and your fellow racers. You can run 10's with a SBC but, nothing wrong with starting slower to learn how to drive it. It's alot easier to control a car that gets loose that runs 12's than to try and learn how to save it in a 9 second car. There is no replacement for experience. Just my opinion.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:43 AM
desoto30
JUNIOR BUILDER

there is some Very good advice in the previous posts.i have had a few race cars & a lot to do with several others.My observations are the many or even most people that get into drag racing do so because they go to a "street meet" & find it quite thrilling as I did.Then they spend a fortune hotting up that car,to eventually getting a purpose built car.IMO for expedience & cost I believe nothing will compare to purchasing an operation(the problem being not getting junk).The next is a roller of your chioce & go from there.You will know the car fairly well once completed.If you choose to build you will know the car intimately,but this is a slow & expensive exercise(believe me I know).We now race an altered(purchased as a roller) for the reason that you get the very best bang for the buck IE very best power to weight,lighest tow package,good storage,great car to drive & relatively inexpensive.& of course you can start Small block & end ??? AA/FA! Madness .with all that said most people race door cars but personally after I raced a chassis car that was the end of racing door cars for me.But each to their own.Good luck & I hope that you have as much fun as I have had.