View Poll Results: what is type of oil is best for flat tappet camshafts ??
synthetic base
50.00%
mineral base
50.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

what is the best oil for flat tappt engine?????

Old 04-15-2007, 06:23 PM
topsportsman1
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: oil

Originally Posted by davis419b
Thanks Tom. My engine builder keeps trying yo hook me up on Brad Penn Racing oil For my 565 on alchohol but i just havent heard enough about it. At the moment i keep going back to Valvoline.
Brad Penn stuff is good,also the Valvoline is good to I used valvoline for years,but I changed over to Mobil-1 10 years ago

Never had any problems with any of the oils,
If Mobil-1 wasn't sponsored I'd still be using valvoline

Now watch ole heck break loose now that I said that :P :P :P
Old 04-15-2007, 06:54 PM
bubbabbc
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default oils

One of the best cam grinders around, Jerry Cantrell at Schneider Racing Cams, highly recommends Brad Penn. This is the same formula that was Kendall years ago (the green oil).
Old 04-15-2007, 07:33 PM
WhtLightning
SHOW GUEST

Valvoline racing formula still has a good amount of ZDDP. They do make 10w30 racing oil in that formulation that protects flat tappets just fine. In a roller engine though, you don't need such a high concentration of ZDDP(zinc dialkyl dithiophosphate) because of the large reduction in friction that is afforded by a full roller valvetrain.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:08 AM
Pwmax
MASTER BUILDER

Quaker state Q racing oil, and Joe Gibbs racing oil, has the most zink, compared to any of the others. Rotella, when it had more zink than it does now, they revised the formula for epa b*llsh*t, had about 1450PPM, (parts per million), of the good stuff. Quaker state Q, has about 1950. Joe Gibs, has almost 3000!! Thats why all the nascar teams are using it these days. One other thing, my sources say, that GM took most, if not all the zink out of EOS, as the epa said to.

Frank
Advanced Performance
www.get-ap.com
Old 05-09-2007, 04:37 AM
Pwmax
MASTER BUILDER

Just a quick FYI. Comp Cams cam break in supplement, is the ticket now. It has the good stuff in it. Use a bottle of that, add it to your oil, and your good to go. You could also add half a bottle to your oil at every oil change.

Frank
Old 05-09-2007, 04:56 AM
billhendren
MASTER BUILDER

We use the Joe Gibbs XP3 oil with great results, Royal purple max 41 is also very good.the Mobil One was a good deal until they changed the additive package last year and we started seeing a lot of roller lifter failures.Bill
Old 05-09-2007, 09:58 AM
slowman
MASTER BUILDER

i agree with bill the mobil1 is crap now and i have seen the same thing. i went to redline or purple for roller cam engines. the rotella did the same thing with the add package this yr so now i would stay away from them to. this oil changing all the time is pissing me off. i have my oil analized to find the best oil so far the purple is the best i have run in roller cam engine but i have never ran the stuff bill is talking about from joe gibbs racing. i will be trying it thou just to see how it holds up in testing.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:44 PM
bubbabbc
JUNIOR BUILDER

The old Kendall Oil (the green oil) is now Brad Penn. It is highly recommended by several major cam companies.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:52 AM
racear2865
APPRENTICE

I am just like most people that builds and fires engines on dynos. We are always searching for that magic potent that prevents loosing lobes on flat tappet and hydraulic camshafts. As we build several NHRA stock eliminator cars, we have several flat tappet combinations that have over 500 lbs over the nose. So camshaft life becomes a huge issue. As most of us now know, any oil that has a API certification no longer has certain additives (ZDDP for one) as they say it is detrimental to many measurable problems(they claim). In the past year, we like most people have been using Rotella diesel oil. But as of this year it goes under new API certification (removes ZDDP) and many additives will be removed. Since I have been a engineer for more than 37 years and building engines since I was 14, I decided to scientifically look at it. At the present time I am working with Lake Speed Jr from Joe Gibbs oil. We have just tried their break in oil on a Stock eliminator car. I have my pc set up with a 28 channel data acquisition card so I can monitor anything that I dream up. My thoughts are, if you can't measure it, how do you know that you improved it. I have samples from Amsoil, Schaeffer, Lucas, Valvoline, Royal Purple, just name a few. We will try anything if they will send us a sample. We even send the oil out for analyze after firing and running. We start all our engines on a mineral base and then go to synthetic. I have not found any mineral base oil that stand the abuse of synthetic (my opinion and mine alone). I know that people like Bill and Perfconn do more than I can ever dream of doing. But I am willing to search for that magic potent. I ask if there is anyone that can share data with me, please contact me. Lets find what is best. Please do not misinterpret what I have said above. I am only trying to find a better solution and do not want to step on any toes.
thanks
racear
Old 05-10-2007, 07:17 AM
slowman
MASTER BUILDER

very good post racear2865 i will try and find the data i have for all of us on the forum. i have had many brands analized but the oil changes as fast as i can get it tested. the best oil so far for me after testing has been purple and redline. thanks for coming and joining the forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -