Need help with engine!! Valvetrain choice.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:30 PM
a58chevy
SHOW GUEST

Default Need help with engine!! Valvetrain choice.

This is going to be long so I'll apologize.

I'm 22 years old and I have a 58 Chevy truck and I'm looking to make it my daily again after sitting for 2 years.
The current combo is a 292ci, rpm air gap, 4 bbl 500cfm, too big of solid cam ( I was 18 but learned the hard way ), 9:1 or slightly above... port matched heads (416 305 heads), headers. Basically I'm looking to put a milder cam in but I cam across a grind for another solid cam. The grind is 219/229 @.50" .456"/.479" lift on a 114 LSA. Does sound like a good cam to match?
I was going to go hydraulic but I do like the way solid cams run.

My other question is if I could use poly locks and a stud girdle on this cam and be ok with press in studs? I never used them on my current cam because I was told I might pop a stud out. Also I'd be going to full roller rockers.

The rest of the driveline is a Tremec TKO 600 5 Speed with a Ford 9" with Detroit Locker and 4.11 gears.

I would appreciate your guy's help with this!
[/b]
Old 02-21-2008, 02:06 AM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Basically I'm looking to put a milder cam in but I cam across a grind for another solid cam. The grind is 219/229 @.50" .456"/.479" lift on a 114 LSA. Does sound like a good cam to match?
I was going to go hydraulic but I do like the way solid cams run.

My other question is if I could use poly locks and a stud girdle on this cam and be ok with press in studs? I never used them on my current cam because I was told I might pop a stud out. Also I'd be going to full roller rockers.

The rest of the driveline is a Tremec TKO 600 5 Speed with a Ford 9" with Detroit Locker and 4.11 gears.
One at a time.
Camshaft;
Go Hydraulic and not too big for your total vehicle. Chevy has one we called the 30-30 hyd but that is far too wild for what you have. I will suggest a hyd Comp Cams 260H. That will have alittle rumble in your 292. Go no wilder than a 268 H. Warning in your 292 it will be very radical. I don't suggest it. The cam you are looking at is far too radical for what you are wanting to use it for.

Lifters;
I am going to suggest either a Rhoads varible timing lifter or a Comp cams equivelent. At low oil prsssure it will not allow as much duration or lift but when oil pressure picks up you have the full complete cam. Use Cam assembly lube generously on cam lifters and all pushrod tips.

Rocker arms.
Any rollerized 1.60 rocker arm set. Forget stud girdles, you don't need them. won't help you except to maybe help those 3.8 studs. You shouldn't need even 7/16 rockers, but if you want to pay a machine shop to prep your heads with 7/16 studs the only negative is paying the bill.

Get a stud pin kit and drill and pin your pressed in studs to keep them from pulling out. UNless you decided to do the 7/16 studs.

Valve Springs,
Get a book or go online at Competition Products and find a hydraulic cam spring that will give you an installed pressure of appx 125 to 130 lbs with 3/8 studs or 140 to 145 psi with 7/16 studs. Looking for 280 to 300 lbs open with 3/8 studs or 360 lbs open with 7/16 studs. Break cam and lifters in with old stock springs at low rpm. Or remove center coil from your new springs and break in cam and lifters that way.

This should be a fun ride with that Tremec. Please do not ruin all your low end with a too big of cam. The lifters I suggest will make the engine think is has more compression at lower speeds and a milder cam. They will also sound some like solid lifters.

Ed