Alcohol help me please

Old 11-21-2015, 12:46 PM
rockbuggy1
SHOW GUEST

Default Alcohol help me please

My 57 has a 460ci bbc 11.1 compression can I switch over to alcohol carb system with my current ratio
Old 11-22-2015, 01:10 PM
SuperComp1R
MASTER BUILDER

yes, but if you plan on going with an electric fuel pump it will not work, belt drive pump required.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:44 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Just about any compression ratio will benefit from the extra torque of alcohol. I wouldn't think twice about changing over with any ratio.

I respectfully disagree with the electric fuel pump not working. You can't say that not knowing what pump. I know many people running electric fuel pumps and alcohol. I am doing it myself. The best plan to run electric is using a return style regulator, but it still can be done deadheaded. I suggest the large Holley regulator #12-704. You should have a GOOD pump. I use the Aerospace 400gph pump. At least -10 from cell to pump. -10 from pump to regulator is best, but -8 will probably work. Then -8 to carb bowls. Whatever line you run to the front if you use a return regulator run the same size back.

Alcohol is much easier than many people make it out to be. Watch how rich your idle circuit is. Get you engine oil and water temp up really good every time you put it away and it will help keep the oil clean.

With all that said the belt drive pump is the best, but by no means required.

Curtis
Old 11-23-2015, 02:29 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

I've run 4.90's in the 1/8 with E85 or methanol with a Magnafuel Prostar 500. Biggest thing to worry about is the regulator, it is the most restrictive point to worry about. I use the magna fuel large 2 port regulator. And your engine will work fine with a methanol carb. If I didn't build my own BLP would be my first choice.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:52 PM
SuperComp1R
MASTER BUILDER

we just built a 454 small block for our rear engine dragster, it has a magna flo 500 pump, called Rupert carbs to buy our carb, 1st thing he asked was what type of pump, i said electric and told him the size of pump and lines, HIS QUOTE WAS IT WILL NOT SUPPLY ENOUGH FUEL, YOU WILL NEED A BELT DRIVEN PUMP, so with that said we did in fact go to a belt drive pump. will a electric pump work, sure, will it give your engine all it needs? try your pump and see, maybe yes and maybe no.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:49 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

Think about the volume a pump will supply into a bucket, and the small hole the fuel has to pass thru the N&S. It's not the pump that can't supply enough fuel, it's the regulator you have to worry about. With a belt drive the pump doesn't use a regulator or it uses a bypass. As long as the regulator will supply two .150-.164 N&S then using electric isn't an issue. And mine was running with around 5 psi...