Motorhome Class A or C

Old 07-26-2009, 04:02 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Default Motorhome Class A or C

Been looking at motorhomes and had a few questions

Looking at a Class A's and Class C's

My questions
What is max over hang from tires back you suggest for pulling 30ft enclosed trailer ?

Why a Class A over a Class C ?

What kinda gas mileage should I be thinking to get with a
Class A
454-
V10

Class C
V10

I was thinking a class A would pull a trailer better but then was thinking the class C may have more power (and better gas mileage) being a little smaller. Wifey likes the Class C because A is to big but would like to show her the plus and neg of both.

This is a local one I am looking at
http://www.haylettnorthcountry.com/r...ssagas/493.htm
thanks
Old 07-26-2009, 06:19 PM
JimmySmith
MASTER BUILDER

David I pull a 26' Pace with 3000 lb car and gas golf cart and more tools and spares than most local racers. MH is 33' Winnebago 454 Inj not real big hills and it does OK but with 13.5' overhang you have to stay on your toes driving and gets bout 7MPG. Later J.Smith 4621 racing
Old 07-26-2009, 08:58 PM
RonOwensRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

Dave I have towed with both .
with a 30 foot trailer the less over hang on the back the better but they are not bad if you use the stabilizer bars the mileage will not be a lot of difference with either engine really .
But let me give you a little bit of a advantage right now I do a lot of buying and selling for a large car dealer and a auto auction and don't just go to a dealer and buy a motor home and let them tell you how good of a deal they are giving you there is a lot of motor homes at the auctions now from repos and dealers trying to get rid of them and they are cheap now.
for perfect example last Thursday they was a 99 winnebago road master 32 foot with 24k miles on it with a 454 sold for 8500.00 dollars and a 98 ford cruise liner with 27K on it with a V-10 and it sold for 11.200.00 they are really cheap right now that market is really struggling now and around here we have a lot of motor home dealers that would love to sell one .
hope this helps and good hunting. Ron
Old 07-27-2009, 04:38 AM
qtrmile2
DYNO OPERATOR

When I bought my RV I test drove a gas and Diesel . When I drove the diesel the air ride suspension sold me. Plus the diesel power to tow an enclosed trailer. I get 7 to 9 miles to the gallon with the diesel. My enclosed trailer is 32' with a 5' tounge which is important for clearance when turning. My RV is 37'. You'll be happy with a class A or C but my choice for the extra room and the fact you can put alot more miles on a diesel is a Class A. That's important to me because I don't think I will ever sell it. I also haul a 3400 lb car, alot of tools, cabinets full of parts and a golf cart. Alot of great deals out there so spend alot of time looking. It took me 3 months. What ever you buy you'll love it and wish you did it a long time ago. It's great comfort at the track and vacations.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:43 AM
3dracing
MASTER BUILDER

I used to have one just like that, traded in on a pusher. I pulled a 28 foot trailer and sometimes the rear bins would unlatch when you hit a big bump. They wouldn't fly open but people would pull up beside us and wave to say the bins were not latched. You will need to beef up the hitch on it.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:20 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Either will pull fine, but get a trailer toad and it will make a big difference how much better they haul.

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1...shipping-.html
Old 07-28-2009, 03:41 PM
kod99
MASTER BUILDER

Default Re: Motorhome Class A or C

Originally Posted by hammertime
Been looking at motorhomes and had a few questions

Looking at a Class A's and Class C's

My questions
What is max over hang from tires back you suggest for pulling 30ft enclosed trailer ?

Why a Class A over a Class C ?

What kinda gas mileage should I be thinking to get with a
Class A
454-
V10

Class C
V10

I was thinking a class A would pull a trailer better but then was thinking the class C may have more power (and better gas mileage) being a little smaller. Wifey likes the Class C because A is to big but would like to show her the plus and neg of both.

This is a local one I am looking at
http://www.haylettnorthcountry.com/r...ssagas/493.htm
thanks
Ain't it nice to have a wife to "discuss" things with?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:16 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I just looked at the one you were checking out, i would definately pass on that one. Price is too high, and too much over hang and i'd almost bet money you would have too spend another $1,000.00 to beef up the rear frame. I bought a 35 foot with tag wheels a couple yrs ago to use while working out of state. I figured i could then use it to pull my 26ft. halmark inclosed. What a frekin joke, i looked under the rear chassis, and it wasn't nearly as well built/beefy as my Chevy duelly. What jimmy Smith said was right, but what he didn't say was that he had a 22' baga class A that he dearly loved and towed his trailer much better that the 33 ft. he now has, but his wife wanted bigger more comfort. If i can ever sell my 35ft. i'm going to buy a 22' to 26' max class A.

But what ever you buy, look at the rear frame close and be sure to use an equlizer hitch, otherwise the trailer will toss you alover the road.

JMO

Zip.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:47 PM
nofear57
EXPERT BUILDER

I'm just a one man show with a family,wife and 2 kids age 2 and 5. I have a 1979 A class Empress 21' from bumper to bumper pulling a 24ft enclosed trailer with either my 23T-altered(low 8 sec) or 56' Chevy(low 9sec). The motor home has a 440 dodge engine and gets 7 to 8mpg at 60 or 70 mph no mater what the conditions are and what car I have in the trailer.
I'm thinking of rebuilding the engine with an RV cam,alum. intake and headers,wonder if my mileage would improve?
I'm just small time but I bring the family with me all the time and they love it!
Old 07-29-2009, 11:07 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Now that's what i'm talking about, the guy i built the 468" 66 biccayne for has an older 21ft 440 dodge class C, he said i can have it for $3500.00 with equlizer hitch. It gets about 9 to 10 mpg towing an open trailer and it's like new inside. It has towed a 26 ft. inclosed trailer alover La.,Tx, and Ak. He's owed it for 15 yrs and taken very good care of it. I'm even a less than a 1 man show, single, but it will be my next ride when i sell my 35 footer.

Zip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -