Mixing old school and new technology

Old 10-12-2010, 04:10 PM
ogles824
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Mixing old school and new technology

My son and I have a 1988 K5 Blazer 4x4 that has been full restored. We bought it off of EBay a while back and did a little work to it and started showing at the local car shows. We've come home with a couple of first place trophies. My son drives it to high school and has been driving it regularly since August. Since he started driving it, it has developed a small rear main seal leak. I want to fix that leak and was thinking of pulling the engine to do it. While we had it out I was thinking of doing some mods but I wondering just how far I should go (Not to worry, even though the motor is correct, it is not numbers matching) The motor is a 350 with TBI fuel injection which according to the tags under the hood, is the correct set up for this Blazer. I was thinking that while I had it our I would do a chrome dress up package, but me being a hot rodder I can't stop there. I'm thinking of a new cam and valve train, something in the High Energy line up from Comp Cams, prolly a 268. I also want to install a set of the Magnum roller rocker arms - 1:6 ratio, a duel roller timing set dialed up 4 degrees for more bottom end, and if I can find one that will except all the emissions stuff, an after market aluminum intake; oh yes, and set of long tube headers that will except the AIR emissions tubes. It all ready has duel exhaust with cats, aluminized pipe, stainless steel glass pack mufflers, and a cross over tube. Sounds kind of wimpy, not very loud the cats need to go but then you get into emissions laws. From what I saw on the WWW this motor in it present form is only making around 220 horsepower, that's kind of weak by today's standards, got to have more. Here's the biggy, the rub........ If I can pull off all of these mods, can I get the computer that controls it all to like them too?????
Old 10-12-2010, 08:26 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

A comp 268 is not a computer designed cam. The tbi set up works flawless stock but altered is a pain in the rear. A stock vortec roller cam is about the best you can swap.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:07 PM
ogles824
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Originally Posted by kwkracing
A comp 268 is not a computer designed cam. The tbi set up works flawless stock but altered is a pain in the rear. A stock vortec roller cam is about the best you can swap.
kw, what if I go with an after market TBI fuel injection system??? Can I install a hydraulic roller cam in this block with out having to do any machining or mods to the block?
Old 10-13-2010, 08:05 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

If its a roller capable block. Look and see in the lifter valley if there are bosses to hold a roller lifter spider or does the block have a cam retaining plate boss. Hopefully you have a 638 casting and it will be roller capable. Aftermarket tbi are not worth the money. There is no easy way to effiecently tune a obd1 computer. You would be better off going to a multi port, carb or leave it stock. I have wasted lots of money with name brand companys and achevied no more than before.

Call turbo city and discuss what you want to do. They are nice guys and if you are stuck on tbi, they can help you.