old slicks

Old 06-05-2009, 07:22 PM
chevyart
MASTER BUILDER

Default old slicks

put the slicks on mycar in 1995, and only have 55 passes on them. they have always been on car, stored inside , with extra air in them. is there any chance they will still hook for me. i was injured 3 years ago and am just getting vback to racing. what do you guys think of the tires. thanks chevy art
Old 06-05-2009, 10:46 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Have they held air all that time? My slix always go flat in,like,two days.Unless they got tubes in them.I would check for cracks and dry rot. If they seem sound and safe,no worries. As far as hooking,scratch with your fingernail(if you use someone elses fingernail the sensitivity is low :? huh?) to see if they still seem "gooey". Old dry slicks that probably won't hook usually feel like roughed up leather. That's the best analogy I can come up with sorry. Shoot for gooey tires with no cracks!....I've always said that
Old 06-06-2009, 01:02 PM
chevyart
MASTER BUILDER

Default old slicks

thanks for the repllies. tires still hold air. always had tubes in them, and thwere is no cracks and dryrot. i will do the fingernail test to see how the texture odf the rubber feels. probably is time for some new, soft slicks. im getting tired of having birthday parties for my old slicks chevy art
Old 06-06-2009, 09:03 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

HAHA Birthday parties! That's a good 'un!
Old 06-07-2009, 02:50 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Put them babies in a museum. Racing slicks are at best only good under ideal storage conditions for 2 years (some tires claim 3) from there born on date that we do not know and is not published. They are natural rubber and cold temps, hot temps, sun lite, welding and just about every thing you can think of will cause there early demise (quicker than 2 or 3 years). Don't run them, they were junk to you over 10 years ago.
Sorry to be blunt, but them tires are so dry and degraded that they are not likely any use to a tire recycler either.
Bruce
Old 06-07-2009, 07:19 AM
I972Nova
EXPERT BUILDER

I wouldnt use them, when there is a safety question always remember that you are the one that driving that beast!!!
Old 06-07-2009, 05:08 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

nice for looking at or displaying at the car show-DO NOT RACE DOWN THE TRACK WITH THEM ops: ops: ops: ops: :lol: :lol: LIVELY
Old 06-07-2009, 05:19 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

fill them with dirt and plant flowers in them :idea:
Old 06-07-2009, 07:30 PM
chevyart
MASTER BUILDER

Default old slicks

al you guys are sso right. i am going to get new ones this week.. i was so worried about performance, that i forgot all about safety, mine and the guy next to me chevy art