cooling in the pits

Old 11-28-2008, 06:32 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

I think Hammers talking about spraying the trans pan not the radiator. I've sprayed mine in the later rounds seems like you just get back, hook up your charger and the track is calling your class back to staging lanes. I also have sprayed water on the converter.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:05 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by dparker
I think Hammers talking about spraying the trans pan not the radiator. I've sprayed mine in the later rounds seems like you just get back, hook up your charger and the track is calling your class back to staging lanes. I also have sprayed water on the converter.
You are correct, you can take a trans from 190-200 to 140-150 in no time flat. I do it every round and I will explain why, if my trans temp first round is 160 next round it may be 180, reaction times start showing some slowing down for me, not a lot but take a .012 light and move it to a .018, then next round do the same. By 3rd-4th round you are upto a .030 light which isnt going to cut it. I've just decided to take trans temp down to 150 every round by spraying converter and trans off, this in fact has proved to work wonders.

I will be switching to Mobile 1 syn fluid this year to help some also, make sure you guys wanting to run hyd fluid get the non foaming type.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:55 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

I'm with Tod avioded the later rounds last year trans never got over 170. Hope i have to get the leaf blower out alot this year though.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:55 PM
superstreeter
SENIOR BUILDER

lots of feedback ! good ! I was looking at plumbing some sort of external pump into the pan, then to a cooler , this will cool the oil in the pan, and if you start the car a couple of times, this should cool the convertor as well, just haven`t found a pump that will work....I run a 5000 stall in a glide behind a pump gas 588 alum. it gets hot after 3rd round esspecially on those hot days, the guage tells the story, and I like to keep it at 150 for the start of each round, I have heard some tranny manufactures have their own oil that they claim runs cooler, but I haven`t researched it yet. thanx for the ideas.........a pump would really get my interest though...and alot less screwing around with water and a leaf blower........which are still good ways to cool,,but with less time in the pits, during later rounds, a pump will free up some time, for other things. I do run a large B&M cooler with fan, but not enough when you start getting on the trans brake.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:57 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I think its ATI who makes the pump you are looking for but its $800.00
Old 11-28-2008, 06:00 PM
superstreeter
SENIOR BUILDER

is it an external pump ? Iv`e seen some tranys with internal pumps and a bunch of plumbing to go with it.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:09 PM
superstreeter
SENIOR BUILDER

Yup.....895.00 for an internal pump..but no room for the pump to be mounted on the trans for my car... thanx
Old 11-28-2008, 08:13 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

take your pan and plumb some small steel lines through it like a cool can.... run nitrous on a solenoid to the pan, wire it on the transbrake switch! When your on the brake it will cool ur tranny down when its building the most heat!
Old 11-29-2008, 09:26 AM
superstreeter
SENIOR BUILDER

Now thats what I`d call a cool idea...good one !!! I could hook it up as a purge line, then when I release the trans brake, it could feed the engine..LOL, a couple of extra lines and switches and we`re ready to go..
Old 11-29-2008, 04:54 PM
us7race
EXPERT BUILDER

Here is the link...

http://www.atiperformanceproducts.co...CS30/index.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -