we are converted to alcohol !

Old 11-10-2007, 07:23 PM
davis419b
EXPERT BUILDER

I do not buy fuel from the track but i would buy 5 gals. before i would use fuel that i had sitting around for a year. I have bought drums of Sonoco with the plastic liner with rust in the bottom of the drum. I have run alcohol all of my 15 years of racing and if i have any left from the end of the season i pour it out and buy new fuel at the beginning of the new season. I have never ran race gas but i dont think it will pull moisture the way alcohol will. Have you ever laid your hand on someones intake who runs alcohol while the engine is running, it will be very cold, on a cold night it will be wet with moisture. If the barrel has not been sitting on a conrete floor you may be ok. This is just my opinion and the way i am with my fuel. It is abuot the cheapest item you buy for racing.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Racefab57
DYNO OPERATOR

Hey,I know of people putting nitrogen in the space above the fuel in the drum!!! Also,I think you can use argon gas. I dont see why it wouldnt work! Good luck bj next week!!! I still want to go to that outlaw track with you some time too!!!!!!!!!!!! David.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:08 PM
thetanman101
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by Racefab57
Hey,I know of people putting nitrogen in the space above the fuel in the drum!!! Also,I think you can use argon gas. I dont see why it wouldnt work! Good luck bj next week!!! I still want to go to that outlaw track with you some time too!!!!!!!!!!!! David.
This would work. Out at the plant we blow nitrogen through hoses to dry them before unloading chemicles that will react with moisture. But not everyone keeps a supply at the house. (Oh, yeah, gotta get me a welder. Note to self for Christmas!) :wink: :arrow:
Old 11-10-2007, 08:10 PM
Gdaddy
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Brian..dont buy into all the "fresh" alky hype..as long as it sits inside and the SUN cant get to it..the condensation will be minimal...mine sits inside my shop all winter and is just fine..we test before running...no issues yet..Good Luck...i think you will really like the APD
Old 11-10-2007, 08:27 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I leave my alky set all winter and use it in the spring and see no difference in ET or EGT when I start using fresh. This past year I left 40 gallons in the cans in my trailer outside in the mich weather and another 20 in the heated garage.

Carb looks good !! and I am sure will work great !!!
Old 11-11-2007, 05:10 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

And just in case you forgot...5.75!!

George[/quote]

lets keep the fingers crossed..suppose to be in low 70's..high 60's next weekend..perfect weather for it..
:wink: :wink:
Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-11-2007, 07:16 AM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

man brian sure looks GOOD!!!!!
Old 11-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

is there a reason for painting the intake black? Besides the way it looks? Just curious. I remember the first motor I built when I was 18 years old,I painted the whole thing black (including a brand new alum intake) my father just shook his head in disbelief. hahaha :P
Old 11-11-2007, 03:09 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Todd..i been doing all my intakes this way as long as i can remember...except my sheet metal EPD intake on my 632ci..

i just like the looks...lol 8)

plus after a while any plain aluminum intake gets dingy and looks like crap after a short while...with it being black it always looks this shiny and new..if it dulls i just re-shoot (touch up) less than 5 minutes..
i am into the looks thing as well..if it doesn't look good i will not fool with it. another personal preference. i guess.lol

i use the 500 degree ceramic header paint by the way.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-11-2007, 05:41 PM
lotsof454sss
DYNO OPERATOR

Engine and all is looking good there Brian...Hope you get the 5.60's this weekend..Looking forward to you posting or you have my number so call from the track and I will post it then..Good Luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -