street motor compression

Old 06-05-2007, 02:39 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Mix your 93 pump gas with some 110 and go enjoy your car on the street...my goodness a 11 to 3 compression motor is nothing like these 14/15/16 to 1 compression beast out here racing on the strip...

the type of fuel at this level is very debateable..I HAVE PERSONALLY RUN 93 OCTANE AT 11 TO 1 and hurt nothing.......

i will almost guarantee you that at 11 to 3 compression this will make you a hot little street motor...just mix the gas to be safe on any detonation..

your orginal question was " is 11 to 3 compression too much for street"

now if ya building something to drive to work everyday then NO..but for a weekend warrior car..GO for it...

i will bet the 632 would have never made the HP you posted if the compression was 9/10 to 1...
...and like Bill said unless you know the exact cc's of the heads, deck height, thickness of head gasket etc... you will not know what the compression is..just beacuse the pistons say its a 11 to3 compression pistons doesn't make it that compression unless all the above are working hand in hand.....

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 06-05-2007, 02:44 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Not my idea of a driving on the street engine, but it would be fun to play with. That camshaft is humongous for a street engine. It for sure should be bleeding down most of that low rpm cylinder pressure.

I don't doubt that he could get it to idle at 850 rpm. I can get just about any engine no matter how radical it is to idle at a lower rpm, usually 700 - 750 Rpm, and I actually do it to adjsust idle air/fuel, then I idle them to where I want them to be. . That does not mean it will have any power below 10,00 rpm though. I am exgarrating.

He is right about the flat tops usually having a more complete burn than a mountain dome. (My words). I am just wondering how in the world with flat top pistons and an Edlebrock Head it will have 11.40 - 1 compression? How big are your combustion chambers? How thick is the head gasket? and How deep in the hole are the pistons, I.E. Deck ht. ?

Ed
Old 06-05-2007, 02:51 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Ed- i had the same thoughts and questions also onthe cc's ,deck height. gaskets etc......i just pulled up Shafiorffs pump gas 632 motors and posted the spec's...looks like they are bringing their motors in at 10.75 to 1......

again i am speaking of cruise inn, Saturday night Speacials.....

Below is the specs on Shafiroffs 632 ULTRA STREET

Horsepower 900 @ 6200 RPM
Torque 845 @ 4600 RPM
Bore & Stroke 4.600 x 4.750
Comp Ratio 10.75 - 1
Block Blueprinted Dart Big "M" 10.2" Tall Deck w/4 Bolt Splayed Caps
Heads SSRE/CFE 385cc Fully CNC Ported Aluminum
Valves 2.300/1.880 Severe Duty Stainless Steel
Crank Callies 4340 Magnum Pro Series
Rods Lunati Pro Mod 6.660" w/220,000 PSI Bolts /
Crower Big Block Sportsman
Pistons JE/SSRE Custom 10.75 - 1 Aluminum
Camshaft Comp Cams Custom "Street Roller"
Lifters Comp Cams Solid Roller
Timing Set Cloyes Tru Roller w/Torrington Bearing
Rocker Arms Crane Gold Series Aluminum Roller Rockers
Intake Manifold New Merlin "X" 10.2 Dominator
Valve Covers Polished Cast Aluminum w/Logo
Oil Pan Moroso/SSRE Pro Windage Series
Dyno Yes. Actual Dyno Sheet Provide

Old 06-05-2007, 03:06 PM
woodsman
DYNO OPERATOR

Brian I went to Wallace racing web site and run the figures that you gave from Scotts 632 and only came up with 11.22 horsepower gain on old to new compression so I think you are right about running some good strong gas. Wesley
Old 06-05-2007, 04:35 PM
zano
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default shafiroff

i looked at shafiroff engines thats why 11.3 to 1 scares me shafiroff does not do it on steet engines my intake is a edelbrock it was suppose to be a merlin x changed so it had lower rpm hp and it worked mines 945 at 6000 also heads are 118 cc when i get the piston numbers i'm going to call ross and find out exactly what compression this thing has i already have the head gasket type later zano
Old 06-06-2007, 04:44 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by woodsman
Brian I went to Wallace racing web site and run the figures that you gave from Scotts 632 and only came up with 11.22 horsepower gain on old to new compression so I think you are right about running some good strong gas. Wesley

wes i just copied and pasted Shafiorffs info..i cannot say where its right or wrong..but its what they advertise...go to ScottShafiorff racing and pull up their 632 ultra street motors and you will see more info than what i copied and pasted..i am sure there was something you missed in the calculations cause SSRE is pretty dead on their numbers...i have heard about other problems but i would bet Big MONEY their advertisment on their 632's are dead on....

ohh yeah..i will check this weekend on the master cylinder for you...do not buy one yet...the other guy just let me know he couldn't use it..so i will do ya real good....its at my chassis shop guy's place..

later brian

Old 06-06-2007, 05:11 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: shafiroff

Originally Posted by zano
i looked at shafiroff engines thats why 11.3 to 1 scares me shafiroff does not do it on steet engines my intake is a edelbrock it was suppose to be a merlin x changed so it had lower rpm hp and it worked mines 945 at 6000 also heads are 118 cc when i get the piston numbers i'm going to call ross and find out exactly what compression this thing has i already have the head gasket type later zano

Zano:

SSRE runs their ultra streets at 10.75 to 1 on pump gas only (93 octane).if they mixed their fules they could run a whole heck lot more compression on the street ( street engine)..call them yourself and ask them...

i am telling you without a doubt that you can run your car on the street at 11.3 compression....Mix your fuel 93 and 110...or get some 100 street blaze or something comparable...i have a drum of 104 unleaded octane Sunoco oxgentated fuel in my shop..its yours for $300.00...come and get it...your 632 will love it..it sells for much more than that....

This thread has taken a sharp 90 degree turn...your question was it too much compression for the street...the answer is 'NO' if your doing some weekend warrior stuff.......i have a 67 camaro with a 511 bbc...it has 14 to 1 compression...me and my wife drive it to the local cruise inn's and hamburger joints....i run 112 Sunco blue ( Supreme)....i also took it to the track and ran a 6.07 at 115 mph over a month ago...would i drive this car 200 miles one way..NO..but i will drive it locally all around town and BUST anything that gets in my way...LOL......or capbale of it anyhow...
see the car in the show off section

i am not trying to convince you either way....but i have ran some 11 to 1 Hot" street cars since i was in high school...and never re-greted it...we used pump gas back then and never hurt anything..didn't know any better..i would say Mix it today because stuff has gotten so high to replace....11 to 1 is on the high border side of being too much for opump gas but NOT too much for the street.."weekend warrior stuff"...

whats spending the extra $20.00 at the oump when your filing up?..speacially if your just catting around town on the weekends and screwing with rice burners....the extra $20.00 is worth the smell if anything.

besides what ya gonna do if it checks out to be a 11.3 compression motor ?..tear it back down and spend big money just to be able to pay $3.50 a gallon for pump gas ???...if i were you i would mix the gas and leave it alone and enjoy driving the car......just my opinion...

let us know what Ross says.....

Good luck and enjoy..

Brian
Old 06-06-2007, 07:01 AM
zano
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default brian

brian your absolutely right i don't know why i worry about every little thing thats a great idea to mix fuels i'll let you know how i make out the willys should be together in less them a month thanks again zano
Old 06-06-2007, 07:43 AM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Zano,
I have figured every possible configuration of engine dimensions I can figure for a flat top piston 632 cu in with 118 cc cylinder heads, and I just can not come up with the compression you have been told that you have. This is assuming that the heads are at 118cc and the chambers have not been opened up. If they have been opened up the compression would be even less.

I still say that cam is absolutely assanine for driving on the street. It will do tons of help for letting you drive with a high compression engine on the street, but I don't think that you have the compression ratio you were told.

Comp is wrong about it idling but I think it will be very sluggish if your tires are hooked up at all low and mid rpm ranges. In my opinion, about what horsepower yoour engine builder is claiming with it, WHO CARES. How much usable torque and horsepower will it have in the rpm ranges where you will be mostly using it. IF it made the horsepower on his dyno he told you, which to me is doubtful using the Edlebrock heads with a lower compression engine, BUT if it did, Are you going to be driving it all the time at maximum horsepower rpm? Didn't think so.

I do not trash talk other engine builders and we all do things differently, but if he was fully understanding that you will be driving this on the street and wanted to use pump gas, he is an idiot. Man that is more cam than most race cars only run. That is more cam than all except the more elite race cars ran years ago. I see a much bigger negative issue with your cam selection than I do your reported compression ratio, which I highly doubt.

The comparison between what you possibly have and a SS street engine using BMF heads is a far different world. I am certain that SS Racing could have put more compression into it but did not bcuase they have no idea about how it would be used and abused by buyers.

I have always had engines with higher compression than most in my street cars before I went to stock junk cars. I do have customers that are driving 11-00 compression SB ' s with cast heads, So it can be done. I have a customer in KC that uses his 11.30 - comprseeion car all the time but it does have EFI so that helps him a lot. It only gets race gas when he is getting ready to race it.

Willys! ?
That is some good news added in here for you. I love all of the old Willys of any year. Most of those are built fairly light too, so the good news parts of this are that with a lighter car you can get away with more compression on the street. With a lighter car you can also get away with a bigger camshat on the street. Just not that big.

Is there any chance you could post pics of your car? Or a link to a pic storage album, or email me pics. I do love those cars.

Ed
Old 06-06-2007, 10:32 AM
zano
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default ed

ed i just called bowers said how did you get 11.3 to 1 with a flat top piston and 118 cc chamber he said they done work on heads opened it up to 124cc and then something about swept volume and because of the size of bore to stroke its easy. also willys is off frame give me your email i'll send you pictures of frame with motor on and body on rack just starting to put together thanks zane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -