weld it or replace it?

Old 02-01-2009, 11:46 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by zipper06
What's your problem you've had 5 years to fix it? :lol:

Zip.
Dam, I finally made the connection Zip, date on the photos is 2004.............. He must have a great memory as well!
I hope I did not give to up to date of information :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Little humor, very little humor :roll:
Old 02-01-2009, 04:15 PM
lookingaround
RACING JUNKIE

What's you problem you've had 5 years to fix it? :lol:

Zip.
lol i just noticed the date was wrong on the pic too. nothing gets passed you does it Zip
Old 02-01-2009, 06:24 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by lookingaround
What's you problem you've had 5 years to fix it? :lol:

Zip.
lol i just noticed the date was wrong on the pic too. nothing gets passed you does it Zip
HeHe, i was just having fun with you, you know me better than that :lol:

But since the fun is over, i will answer your question, put a bell on it, don't even try to weld it.

JMO

Zip.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Racefab57
DYNO OPERATOR

Ultra bell it or replace it!!DR.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:54 AM
lookingaround
RACING JUNKIE

ok if go to the ultra bell do i have to run a smaller flywheel? if so do they make a smaller flywheel for a 400 sbc?
Old 02-02-2009, 12:00 PM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

The flywheel diameter is not a problem with the ultra bell unless you are making your own larger than stock diameters? They look a lot smaller than stock but the register in the front is machined for a stock diameter flex plate and it does come very close to the bell and may look too small prior to fit up.
the torque converter however, has to be smaller than 13" or so but that never usually comes into play on race applications.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:18 PM
THERATTLER
RACING JUNKIE

a midplate would help stop that problem from reaccuring , this is just from my past experinces
Old 02-17-2009, 03:31 AM
kicker91laser
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

When removing the stock bellhousing the the JW, are you guys simply grinding it off or taking the case to a machine shop?
Old 02-17-2009, 07:30 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

From a Rod & Custom article;

The hemi UltraBell can be ordered to fit a TH350, TH400, or Powerglide. What you have to do next sounds like a "radical bell-ectomy" but taking off the stock bellhousing from your transmission shouldn't scare you. Complete details and measurements are included with the UltraBell kit, and the deed can be done with a Bridgeport, reciprocating saw or an air tool with a cutoff wheel. The bulk of the housing is taken off on the first pass, leaving a small amount for a die grinder to finish off for a nice, clean edge. The cut doesn't have to be perfect (just don't let the blade wander into the pan rail or top of the front pump).

You can mask off the front pump and input shaft with duct tape and plastic during this procedure, but there's no need to disassemble the whole enchilada. Once you've done the obligatory post-op cleanup, you can remove the front pump bolts, push the UltraBell over your trans, and bolt it down using the high-strength Allen bolts supplied.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:16 PM
kicker91laser
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Originally Posted by DrivingMissDD
From a Rod & Custom article;

The hemi UltraBell can be ordered to fit a TH350, TH400, or Powerglide. What you have to do next sounds like a "radical bell-ectomy" but taking off the stock bellhousing from your transmission shouldn't scare you. Complete details and measurements are included with the UltraBell kit, and the deed can be done with a Bridgeport, reciprocating saw or an air tool with a cutoff wheel. The bulk of the housing is taken off on the first pass, leaving a small amount for a die grinder to finish off for a nice, clean edge. The cut doesn't have to be perfect (just don't let the blade wander into the pan rail or top of the front pump).

You can mask off the front pump and input shaft with duct tape and plastic during this procedure, but there's no need to disassemble the whole enchilada. Once you've done the obligatory post-op cleanup, you can remove the front pump bolts, push the UltraBell over your trans, and bolt it down using the high-strength Allen bolts supplied.
Good stuff! Thank you.