bad vibration,I have no clue,HELP!!

Old 07-17-2008, 07:47 AM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

It is a 496,internally balanced.Good idea though.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:04 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

I think I may have found my vibration.I talked to a guy at Strange Eng. and was was talking about critical speed and jump-rope.Don't know if ya'll ever heard of that before.Anyway,with my small 2.5" dia. d-shaft (52.5" long)and the rpms(6600 on the tach thru the lights) I'm turning he seemed to believe that it was causing my d-shaft to "jump-rope".I believe he may be right.The factory frame on my car has a real small tunnel that the d-shaft runs thru,that combined my the off set on my pinion(to the pass. side)puts my d-shaft about 3/8" from my frame tunnel.Well...I know that's pretty close but it has never hit before,plus there shouldn't be ANY side to side movement with a ladder bar and diagonal link setup.I know a panhard rod has side to side movement,but I don't see how a diagonal link cause have any,or very very little.Any who,I have a witness mark on my d-shaft pipe and the edge of the tunnel where it has hit! :shock: BUT,the mark doesn't go the full circumference of the pipe,it's just a scuff about 2-2.5" long.If it was hitting and riding it,it would be all the way around the pipe,right?Maybe she is playing jump-rope on my after all.And my vibration is feeling the pipe jump over,smack the frame and coming bak and forth.Oh well.that's the best I can come up with for now.Anyone got an opinion on this?I'm wide open to suggestions.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:31 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Allright.Let's get back to the tires :roll: I put her up on stands and run it up to 6600,my shift point in 3rd gear(DISCLAIMER:That was STUPID and DANGEROUS.I know.But,I am STUPID and DESPERATE right now)My pass. side slick looked like a belly-dancer :shock: My buddy said it was jumping up and down about an inch!Put it on the bubble balance and it showed to be balanced.So,ya'll were talking about a tire seperating.Is that what has happened?They have nylon cords/belts in 'em,right?I'm not for sure.What causes that and does anyone have any slix for cheap?

P.S. Please don't run your car up on that stands like I did.It was very scary and now my seat cover has to be washed ops:
Old 07-19-2008, 05:16 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

MAYBE YOU NEED TO GO STAY WIYH RIGSBY!!!!!

LIVELY
Old 07-19-2008, 10:22 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

no such thing as a 33 x 16 inch slick that is cheap. :?

Do you know anyone who has a set that will fit your car...you could borrow em and make one pass to see if that is it before dropping the cash on some more.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:32 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

I agree with Tod about borrowing some. Can you have yours spin balanced instead of using a bubble balancer? Much more accurate.

Curtis
Old 07-20-2008, 10:34 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by olds48
Allright.Let's get back to the tires :roll: I put her up on stands and run it up to 6600,my shift point in 3rd gear(DISCLAIMER:That was STUPID and DANGEROUS.I know.But,I am STUPID and DESPERATE right now)My pass. side slick looked like a belly-dancer :shock: My buddy said it was jumping up and down about an inch!Put it on the bubble balance and it showed to be balanced.So,ya'll were talking about a tire seperating.Is that what has happened?They have nylon cords/belts in 'em,right?I'm not for sure.What causes that and does anyone have any slix for cheap?

P.S. Please don't run your car up on that stands like I did.It was very scary and now my seat cover has to be washed ops:
Toyo, has a special going on right now, buy one get one free and they have 16X33's. i'm not sure how long the special is going, i think the end of July, but may into Aug.
I have a friend who bought 14.5X32's and they hook as good as GY's or Hoosers.

Zip.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:15 AM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Yeah,I'm gonna take the 32x14s off the rail and try those.Can slicks seperate or whatever?