Dragster Wing

Old 01-14-2010, 05:06 PM
dynaguy03
MASTER BUILDER

Default Dragster Wing

Rookie dragster ?..

Im wondering if a wing on a 7.50 180mph dragster is of any benefit? If so what is the good and bad of one of these?
How does it allow you to get down the track any better?.. is it better or worse if its windy?

Thanks In Advance
Keith
Old 01-17-2010, 12:06 PM
jed5161
CRAFTSMAN

depends on the track conditions. If your on a marginal track for your car & setup....yea it'll help you. If your on a track that super sticky...probably will hurt you. Either way it will slow you down a little bit pending on your angle. I'd run one as flat as you can so you dont increase drag and have a 3/4" wickerbill on the back side of the wing. Most wings will only create about 2/3's of the potential downforce for the drag it creates. If you add the wicker bill it uses more area of the bottom of the wing to create more downforce with less drag.

The car will be more stable at speeds...expecially if you go with a "mono strut" wing. The design of the strut helps to "steer" the rear of the car with the airflow going around it. Down fall as you probably know for a mono wing is the price. Consistancy of you car will be improved when on marginal tracks as stated above. Your probably not going to notice much difference on a good "normal" prepped track other than the stability. As for disadvantages to a wing....et loss (small amount), when its windy you'll notice the wind a little more but nothing to create a problem.

Wing issues aside from what it does to the car....watch your head when working around the back of the car and pending on your trailer layout....watch the trailer door and/or attached ramps.

Hope it helps you!
Old 01-17-2010, 03:16 PM
I972Nova
EXPERT BUILDER

On a buddy of mines car it helps to keep it from bouncing when you let off, and makes it more stable when under power to. His is a hardtail. It slowed it down about .05 and it runs high 7.6's low 7.7's

Old 01-17-2010, 04:49 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

I've not played with the wing on my car but can see the benfit of it on a hardtail car to become more stable. If you have shocks on it no sense IMO unless its very fast
Old 01-18-2010, 09:19 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by jed5161

Wing issues aside from what it does to the car....watch your head when working around the back of the car

Hope it helps you!
x2
You should see the scar on my forehead!!! :cry: Dave
Old 01-18-2010, 05:26 PM
dynaguy03
MASTER BUILDER

Default dragster wing

Thanks everyone...great info .. i really need to get this "new to me dragster" down a decent track before i do anything with a wing- i only have my licence passes on this thing and it was in poor conditons (cold 50 degrees..and no other dragsters or anything faster then 10 sec) on a track rental and. on my full passes it was moving around during a 7.56 and my 7.58 pass at about 900 ft out. This got my attension!! being a newbie and this is the fastest ive ever been. But dam..it was cool!!

Thanks Again
Keith
[[/code]