Tranny Feedback

Old 12-03-2011, 06:09 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Default Tranny Feedback

Well to make a long story Short I tore 1st,2nd and 3rd gear out of my 73 camaro Thanksgiving day showing my a$$..thank goodness I had 4th gear to get home.....the only thing I felt good about it is I think the tranny had a little something wrong with it anyhow cause it would come out of 3rd gear around 4500rpm

ok here is what I am kicking around..I have always been the type of Guy to be different with the Rides I have.. I have a chance at a great deal on a Richmond 6 speed !!!!!..about a $3500 tranny for the cost of a Richmond 4 speed ?....but here is my delima...the tranny is 3.28-2.14-1.57-1.24-1.00-.76(OD).....With the 373 gears it will be like a granny tractor in 1st gear..so I would almost be forced to change my rear gear ( Maybe a 3.08 ?) then I must buy another shifter and minor floor fabrication because this tranny sits about 2 inches further backward then the 4 speed...thats really No biggie since there is no console in the car.

Now I have aired out my Cons......What are some thoughts on this idea ?

you guys see many 6 speed straight drives in 2nd generation camaro's ?

does the pro's outweigh the cons on this deal ?

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 12-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Go here and become a member, everything you need to know about 2ng gen Camaro's

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/index.php

Now from what I have read you will need a bellhousing, hydraulic clutch setup, crossmember, driveshaft and I think you might have to change the pinion angle just a hair. All the guys over there love their 5 and 6 speed converted Camaro's.
If mine ever blows I will step up!

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 12-03-2011, 06:29 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by harbone66
Go here and become a member, everything you need to know about 2ng gen Camaro's

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/index.php

Now from what I have read you will need a bellhousing, hydraulic clutch setup, crossmember, driveshaft and I think you might have to change the pinion angle just a hair. All the guys over there love their 5 and 6 speed converted Camaro's.
If mine ever blows I will step up!

daaaaaayyymm that puts it in a different shade of light for sure...wow !

Old 12-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Its not a cheap conversion but if you are buying the tranny cheap it will be worth the investment

Old 12-03-2011, 08:09 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Throw away the Muncie and put a iron case T10 in it and be done with it and more original. The Muncies were notorous for shelling gears, even in the day, due to case flex.

JMO

Zip.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:35 PM
bixblk
DYNO OPERATOR

Default t5

Not sure if this helps, but I put a mid 80's richmond 5 speed (T5) in my 70 chevelle BBC car,about 5 years ago, it came with a shifter, and it was a fine spline so it went into my clutch, pressure plate set up w/o any mods but the cross member did not line up and I fab'ed a mount and put a little bigger hole in the floor, cannot remember about length of the trans and if I had to do any with the drive shaft
I also think that these trans are not as robust as I would like but I do not beat on the car at all so it has lasted so far.
I paid 275 for the T5, shifter and and attached bell housing
Hope this helps
Old 12-04-2011, 04:21 AM
Scorpion1110
RACING JUNKIE

Zip:

You are right about Muncie flex. However the aftermarket makes a cast iron midplate that reduces it significantly- at least the ones I have thrown together for guys seem to be OK.

I put them together on the side for guys and use the cast iron midplate, the bigger front bearing, grooved bushing on number 1, and torq lock sliders as upgrades. I have a friend thrashing one right now in a high horse 65 Chevelle.

Also if you are worried about leakage where the countershaft exits the front of the case, it can be bushed there (though I use a little permatex hi-tack and it cleans up any bit of slop in the press-fit)

B, if you decide to keep the Muncie, I can rebuild it for you with the upgrades pretty reasonably- Just a fall back if you dont do the 5-6 speed upgrade.

S
Old 12-04-2011, 07:22 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Scorpion1110
Zip:

You are right about Muncie flex. However the aftermarket makes a cast iron midplate that reduces it significantly- at least the ones I have thrown together for guys seem to be OK.

I put them together on the side for guys and use the cast iron midplate, the bigger front bearing, grooved bushing on number 1, and torq lock sliders as upgrades. I have a friend thrashing one right now in a high horse 65 Chevelle.

Also if you are worried about leakage where the countershaft exits the front of the case, it can be bushed there (though I use a little permatex hi-tack and it cleans up any bit of slop in the press-fit)

B, if you decide to keep the Muncie, I can rebuild it for you with the upgrades pretty reasonably- Just a fall back if you dont do the 5-6 speed upgrade.

S
thanks scorp this week I plan to dial in a little closer to what I want to do..my concern is that I am hard on banging gears..I cannot stand it (

I think what helped bomb this last one is that I put two friend in the back seat (more weight)...got on a deserted Stretch of PRIVATE road....dumped the clutch at 6,000 rpm, banged 2nd crosssed it up ( with a Big smile I might add) was just about to get the car straight (petal still matted I might ad) and reached to grab 3rd gear and KA-BOOM,,It sounded like I was dragging the shifter levers on the asphalt under the car,,but it was actual metal tumbling in the case.

( .. DISCLAIMER -Kids dont try this at Home...I was on a shut down Airforce base, No cars,tree's or ditches ...Zip you do remember Donaldson Center AFB just up the road from Starlight Dragstrip don't you ?)

Old 12-04-2011, 07:26 AM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

AND THIS IS WHY ALL MY CARS GET SLUSH BOXES!! :P
Old 12-04-2011, 08:13 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by MEMRACING62
AND THIS IS WHY ALL MY CARS GET SLUSH BOXES!! :P
YES!!!!!!!!

The T-10 is a much simplier conversion. If your clutch isnt fine spline just put a new one in and if I remember you have to change the front driveshaft yoke to a turbo 400 style? I did it about 15 years ago on my 68 Camaro.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -