Dodge Ram exhaust

Old 11-07-2011, 04:56 PM
laxking012
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Dodge Ram exhaust

Anybody have any info as far as like sound and performance on how a Gibson Super Truck exhaust would sound on a 2001 Dodge Ram with the 5.2L? I saw on Gibson's website where it's the loudest they make, and I've heard that it's not a good system for low to mid range.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:22 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Probably not enough back pressure for that 5.2L. Dynomax makes a nice cat-back kit for that truck. I have one on my 1997 Ram along with a cold air intake and it perks up that little 318. Not having decent back pressure kills the lower end power curve of those motors.

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 11-08-2011, 09:29 AM
laxking012
JUNIOR BUILDER

What kind of cold air intake did you get? Are there any that are better than others?

And how does your setup sound?
Old 11-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

I used a Spectre intake setup like this one

The exhaust kit I bought 10 years ago, basically just cat-back and it bolted right up. Nice deep sound, not to loud and I could tell a difference in the lower end torque (especially when plowing) once I installed the exhaust and intake setup.

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 11-10-2011, 10:01 AM
laxking012
JUNIOR BUILDER

I've got a friend from local track that has a shop and said he'll make me a dual exhaust set up using flowmaster muffler with single in dual outs and 2 1/2 in. pipe for $250.. best deal I've found so I'm going with that.

Also had a guy tell me that it would be really cheap for an intake to get the pieces make the intake myself. Looks like it would be realtivly simple to get something like that Spectre setup?