383 cylinder scoring? Anybody have any ideas?

Old 05-10-2010, 05:49 AM
hink
EXPERT BUILDER

Default Re: Running to rich.

Originally Posted by josh4ku
Can running the engine to rich wash down the cylinder walls enought to cause scoring? The pistons seemed really wet when we pulled the head off.
I would not think so as we have some alky engine and the fuel ratio is double compared to a gas engine and we don't see cylinder washing
Old 05-12-2010, 07:57 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Yep Hypereutetic's

Originally Posted by hink
Originally Posted by zipper06
Is this a hyperutectic piston or a forged piston, Mahle makes both. If you bought a rotating assy it's possible that they are hyperutetic's and if that's the case the ring end gap is way too little and could cause scoring of the cylinder walls. Also do you know how much piston to wall clearance you have?

Zip.
We buy alot of Mahle pistons and never new they had a hyper piston, they have a 2618 forging and 4032 forging.

What is their hyper piston P/N???
Here you go Carl, $150.00 a set with rings.

Zip.

MAH 599911CWR

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3985&viewitem=
Old 05-12-2010, 07:05 PM
josh4ku
APPRENTICE

Default Cylinder scoring.

I had a guy from a machine shop come look at the cylinders and he said it is nothing, just a few streaks from seating in the pistons, he said it wont get any worse, it was probably done in the first 5 minutes of run time. Compression is still 210 psi