aluminum rods compared to h beam rods

Old 01-22-2009, 09:55 AM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

Default aluminum rods compared to h beam rods

i have a set of new "H" rods with L19 bolts;;GOING TO BE USING 8-71 BLOWER WITH ALKY INJECTION AND 11.8 COMP..would there be any benifits[dependablilty or strength]going to grp aluminum rods instead..also on used aluminum rods what would be the limit on use before i shouldn't buy used..
Old 01-22-2009, 10:20 AM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Aluminum rods for sure on blown injected engines. The rod is able to absorbe the extreme shock and rattle the piston is battling with and keeps the motor alive. A steel rod like that will usually rip off at the crank side.
Several people make good aluminum rods, BME, Brooks, grp... and so one, but dont buy the cheap ones from jegs. lol. Talk to some of these guys and tell them what hp you are trying to achieve and get back to us!

Hope this helps!
Old 01-22-2009, 12:22 PM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

found set of GRP'S with 15-20 1/8th mile runs on them[said never used nos with them]..priced at $450.00 would these be good to buy?
Old 01-22-2009, 03:19 PM
lsrholder
JOURNEYMAN

:roll: Did you stand there and count the number of runs & see that no nos was used ? You're paying a little less than 1/2 price, over a set of new rods, with no nos and zero runs !

If you lose 1 rod, how much will it cost to replace everything ?

Simple math and the theory of probability... good luck !
Old 01-22-2009, 04:26 PM
promod45
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default rods

personally i wouldnt buy any used aluminum rods from anybody unless you saw every pass they made, i had a guy who bought a motor that was just gone thrue and ready to run and built by a professional race shop so the guy told my customer and i told him to open it up and look at it and we found cracks on every journal, aluminum rods were 12 thousands out of round, harland sharp rockers on 300 lb closed pressure springs, 3 bad pistons, so be careful not to try and save on parts and later pick them up at the track ,, also look at the parts page on Racing Junk and you will see alot of parts stating dyno time only, i always get a good kick out of that saying, good luck
Old 01-22-2009, 04:43 PM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

Default Re: rods

Originally Posted by promod45
personally i wouldnt buy any used aluminum rods from anybody unless you saw every pass they made, i had a guy who bought a motor that was just gone thrue and ready to run and built by a professional race shop so the guy told my customer and i told him to open it up and look at it and we found cracks on every journal, aluminum rods were 12 thousands out of round, harland sharp rockers on 300 lb closed pressure springs, 3 bad pistons, so be careful not to try and save on parts and later pick them up at the track ,, also look at the parts page on Racing Junk and you will see alot of parts stating dyno time only, i always get a good kick out of that saying, good luck
i just found another set of aluminum rods on here.saying they are new never used for $450.00 they are venolia brand...are they any good? also how do you feel about me keeping the new steel rods i have or should i sell and go with aluminum rods?i was told i should only use aluminum rods with a blower engine..my first blower engine so new with them.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:54 PM
obsessedtruck
JUNIOR BUILDER

Blower is is almost a requirment for alum. rods!!, Steel you most likly will have problems. And used alum rods, I wouldnt go there. If ya do that you might as well get the 500$ specials from jegs then at least those would be new. LOL.... GRP, R&R, there are a few others that are good. You get what you pay for. My boss Jeff has about 12 sets of used R&R alum rods laying there 1 season on them but thats a good spot for them in a box.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:59 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

I assume you all ready have a good set of pistons? And stock rod length? What size motor are you building? Enderle Birdcatcher?
Old 01-22-2009, 08:02 PM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

Default venolia aluminum rods

ok;;now it looks like aluminum rods i will go with..now i found some venolia aluminum rods..are they any good???????
Old 01-22-2009, 08:10 PM
hotrodharley
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by kwkracing
I assume you all ready have a good set of pistons? And stock rod length? What size motor are you building? Enderle Birdcatcher?
i have a set of JE'S pistons/4340 nontwist 4;25 stroke crank/dart 10.20 deck block..you and others has convenced me to go aluminum rods so i've got my steel rods on net for sell already.they got to be .400 over [6.535]since i got pistons already for this length rod..
building a 540bbc with a 8-71 blower[set up for alky]enderle bird catcher hat that has been modified with square doors on alky.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -