sbc valve guide cutter for positive seals

Old 02-01-2010, 09:43 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Default sbc valve guide cutter for positive seals

Anyone ever use one of these on a drill to cut valve guides for positive seals? If so, did it work well and how long will they last?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COMP-...Q5fAccessories
Old 02-02-2010, 10:11 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I have, being a machinest all my life, they will work well, and the carbide last a long time with alum or cast iron.
A couple things to be careful about, just make sure the arbor you use extends out from the cutter atleast a couple inches so it keeps the cutter in line, and use the highest speed 1/2" drill you can find.

JMO

Zip.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:20 AM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

Any idea in what rpms i should use for cast iron? Thank you zip!!!
Old 02-02-2010, 01:28 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Over 1,000 rpms, i would use 1500/2000 rpms. The worse damage would be if you hung up the cutting tool and it chipped or loosened the carbide tips which are brazed on the cutter. All the cutter we use on CNC equipment are carbide, it is the best outside of ceramic or diamond inserts which is only used for heat treated materials. You can also run the cutter dry, no coolant on cast iron, on alum use kerosene or diesel fuel to keep the alum from sticking to the cutter.

Zip.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:08 PM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Zip is 100% correct. Those cutters will last for many jobs if used as he indicated. I have many sets, and can change the arbor (pilot) to fit several sizes of valve guides. You can extend your ability to do head improvement by buying spring seat cutters that fit your pilots.
Dave
Old 02-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Competition products sells one with the arbor for 48.95 I think...I was thinking of trying this too....Will they shorten the guide at all or just cut the outside? Also..what is the minimum clearance needed between the retainer and the seal/guide?
Old 02-08-2010, 10:59 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Tod74
Competition products sells one with the arbor for 48.95 I think...I was thinking of trying this too....Will they shorten the guide at all or just cut the outside? Also..what is the minimum clearance needed between the retainer and the seal/guide?
No Tod,
It doesn't cut the top of the guide, but i couldn't find the tool at CP with the arbor, i probably missed it, but below it's pictured with and arbor but specifies without for $42.00.

Zip.

http://www.competitionproducts.com/P...ductinfo/4725/
Old 02-08-2010, 01:23 PM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

The one at goodsons show to cut the sides and top of the guide

http://www.goodson.com/store/templat...fbac7a0b8507d5

http://www.goodson.com/store/templat...fbac7a0b8507d5
Old 02-08-2010, 02:49 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by kwkracing
Yes that one does, as does the one from CompCams, you'll notice a 3rd brazed on carbide cutting tip that cuts/chamfers the top of the guide. However the one from Compitition Products does not have the 3 brazed carbide cutter on it, therefore only cutting the seal dia.

Zip.