Stock to accel ignition ?

Old 09-23-2007, 08:58 PM
cbtlr
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Stock to accel ignition ?

Stock 350 chevy engine.Wondering if a accel cap,coil,wires and plugs make any diff in performance from the stock ignition?Or will an accel distributor help out.I'm in Calif (smog test).I'm trying to find any gains I can get and still pass smog test only.Thanks.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:44 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

You really won't see any noticable difference from using better quality cap and rotor, but rather upgrading to a higher output coil and performance module will give you more complete combustion which in turn creats more power, and LESS emissions like hydrocarbons which is unburned fuel. You can upgrade your existing distributor with some 50 state legal stuff made by everybody that makes electrical cpmponents like MSD or Mallory or Petronix, Davis Unified Ignition, take your pick but I would waste my time on a accel, sorry kinda cheapo to me, or you buy a drop in unit for a few more bucks.
If it was me I 'd go with a turn key job and save the time and hassel but if your one of those kinda people who likes all the hands on stuff you'll probably opt to do it yourself. But keep in mind your dist is probably old and in need of other attention too, like worn bushings etc, so a drop in unit would be looking pretty good to me.
Here's a good one and I didnt see anywhere in the add that it couldnt be used in cali car, But I'd call and verify first.

http://pertronix.carshopinc.com/prod...id/68986/D1000

Goodluck, Charles
Old 10-18-2007, 10:50 PM
cbtlr
SENIOR BUILDER

I ordered the distributor you posted.I will post the diff between the stock hei and the flame thrower.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:31 PM
cbtlr
SENIOR BUILDER

The flame thrower has arrived.I called my mechanic to set a day for him to install the distributor and tune up the engine.Ok here we go.He said that he would need to know the exact specs on the cam to set the distributor up.I told him the cam is stock in the car.He then said which stock cam.Sense I dont know which stock cam the car has.He claims he can not install the disrtibutor.I made appt with R& E speed shop.$85.00 an hr never asked what cam the car has but can get the job done.You think my mechanic just did not want to do the job?I asked him a while back if he would pull my timing chain and swap a gear drive in.he ran from that job too.This is at his shop.Not a backyard mechanic.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:09 PM
cbtlr
SENIOR BUILDER

Mechanic said he would need specs on cam to set the curve on distributor.I said the curve kit is already installed and I have all the directions with the 2 extra sets of springs that came with the kit.This still did not make any sense to him.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:56 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Generally speaking the curve in the distibutor will be pretty close to what your looking for with a stock cam. Your just not gonna see much of a gain by having a exotic curve with virtually no mods on your motor.
I wouldn't worry about what the mechanic said, just let them install it and time the engine and when you get it back you can make any necessary adjustments you want by changing springs or intial advance etc.
He might have his hands tied I.E govermental pressures and penalities for foolling around with a emission controled vehicle anyway. Goodluck, Charles
Old 10-31-2007, 09:42 PM
cbtlr
SENIOR BUILDER

The distributor has given smoother acceleration with a few more revs up top.I have advanced the vacum advance a total of 4% since it has been installed.2% 2 diff times.The more I advance.The better she runs.Going to creep up to ping.Then back down the vacum advance.For the price for a new distributor and change in performance.Performance curve kit,module,coil.I'm glad I did the plug and play.