Best hooking tire for heavy car?

Old 06-23-2007, 02:38 AM
bbb555
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Best hooking tire for heavy car?

I'm ready for a set of new slicks and i run M/T 32X14.5X15's WITH L8 compound i think.What would be the best choice of tire for a car that weighs in at 3,500 LBS? I thought about 33x10.5's but don't want to go smaller than what i have now because it probably would make my car look funny because it's tubbed.Even tho the 10.5's say they are smaller a guy told me they probably would be close to what i run now?TRUE OR NOT TRUE? I get a little wobble at the big end and I'm thinking it's due to the sidewalls not being stiff enough? Thanks,bill
Old 06-24-2007, 05:42 PM
bbb555
JUNIOR BUILDER

Well SHIT,Nobody races with slicks?
Old 06-25-2007, 02:11 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Ok, I will try to answer this in a non-answer.

A lot of things in automotive performance or even in life is subject to the opinions of each user. So which tire is the best? Who knows. In some classes there is one brand and one size that is heavily used and a different brand may be heavily used in others.

In the South it seems that the Mickey Thomopsons are heavier used than all others, but there are a few doing good with Hoosier, and GoodYear.

Most True 10.5 cars I see or know of are using as wide of a wheel as rules allow with beadlocks and the Mickey Thompson S sidewall tires. A few are doing the Hoosiers.

It Outlaw 10.5 W classes I.E. 11.6 wide I see a lot of the Mickeys and also some Hoosires and once in a while GoodYears.

In brackets and index racing you see just about everything but still it seems that the Mickeys are on top. M&H still gets used there too. and the Phoenix.

Street Drag Radials seems like Mickeys too, but I also see some Khumo, BFG, Hoosiers and the Good Years, Mostly it is Mickey Thompsons.

So which tire is best? Who knows.

Ed
Old 06-25-2007, 04:20 PM
bbb555
JUNIOR BUILDER

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:36 PM
mcracecars
EXPERT BUILDER

Ed's post there kind of tells you nothing, but tells you everything at the same time.
He is right, there really is no best one tire. With a heavy car you do not want a real soft compound. There are many compounds and designs out there, it would be best to call up a couple of your favorite tire manufactures and get there recomendation.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:07 PM
denn468
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

i have a 69 camaro back half car @3640 lbs the car drags the bumper with 31x10.5 w tires stiff side wall dont be afraid of size i believe stiff side wall is best with a heavy car because they control the tire roll at the end of the track heavy cars like to walk sideways when throttle is lifted
Old 08-29-2007, 03:52 AM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

next time your at the track look at the heavy cars and ask, what they use, it is a blond, or red head or brunette type thing or like oil, you try it , like it and stick with it
Old 08-30-2007, 06:31 AM
us7race
EXPERT BUILDER

Yes as "denn468" said it a stiff side wall tire on a heavy car is the way to go. I have always heard that Mickey Thompson slicks hook great and the Goodyears hook better but I think the cost of the Goodyears is more..