building first BBC - advice please

Old 08-29-2007, 09:17 AM
r8ceredy
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

I am having a very reputable machine/speed shop do the work so I'll stay on them about the clearances. I'm having the works done to the block, bore hone decked. Typically does the block have to be relieved for the longer stroke? I am going with the longer 6.385 rods so as to not bring the piston so far down the cylinder, didn't know if that creates a small clearance problem. Also looking for opinions on Eagle also offers a 511 stroker which is simply a 4.375 stroke versus the 4.350 stroke 496. Pros or cons on that one? Will the longer stroke hurt my rpm potential? All the other parts I have purchased so far seem to be centered around 3000-7000 power band. Will a 750dp keep up with this or will I need to go larger? I would like to turn 11's on pump gas and DOT cheater slicks, got tired of filling NOS bottles on the small block to do that. Did I mention that nothing sounds like a big block? I appreciate the help!
Old 08-29-2007, 09:19 AM
r8ceredy
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Originally Posted by r8ceredy
Also looking for opinions on Eagle also offers a 511 stroker which is simply a 4.375 stroke versus the 4.350 stroke 496.
Meant to say 4.250 stroke on the 496-sorry
Old 08-29-2007, 10:36 AM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

The block will have to be cut for rod clearances if using the 4.250 stroke. It will need to be cut on the pan rails and at the bottom of cylinders.

Using the 4 3/8 stroke is possible but will require even more cutting of the block pan rails bottom of cylinders and in some cases the inside sides of the block. Unless your shop is experienced with block cutting/grinding on that block for stroker clearances, I would suggest to not try. Most people can do ok even if first time cutting for a 4 1/4 stroke. 4 3/8 gets trickey.

Ed
Old 08-29-2007, 11:25 AM
firestone
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Here are just a couple of things to think about.

The heads are nice, but i think a solid 650 may be a little hard to reach with them. I think you will be in the ball park, but based on the article below, it may be a little difficult to actually reach that goal. Below is an article about a motor vey similar to yours. The cam has a little less duration but quite a bit more lift. This motor made 625 hp.

http://www.compcams.com/Community/Ar...ID=-2023343081

In order to safely meet that goal, I would recommend getting a little clean up port work done on the edelbrock heads or considering the AFR 305 or 325cc heads with the CNC combustion chambers. You can get a set of those from AFR assembeled for $2500. From what I could find, The edelbrocks are ~$2000 for a set.

At any rate, based on what I have been told by many people with similar engines, the edelbrock heads should be able to get you your mid 11 second goal pretty easily even if they dont quite reach 650 hp.

Adam
Old 08-30-2007, 07:11 AM
r8ceredy
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Man, you guys are a quite the pool of info. That engine is very close to the one I am envisioning. I already bought the Edelbrock heads and intake (got a smoking deal on racingjunk ) so I gotta work with them. Hopefully the smaller runner size will make the car more responsive on the street. I fiqure on an electric water pump and fan to "free"up some hp. The only parasitic drag on the engine is an underdriven power steering pump and alternator. Another question for all. Is 2" or 2 1/8" primary Hooker SuperComp headers preferrable? They make both to fit my 68 Camaro. They show a 3 1/2 collector that I will run to a dual 3" system with H pipe and QTP dumpouts. I like the Hooker Aerochamber sound so I'll probably go that way again. Looking at the engine in the previous posting I think I will need a 950cfm carb? I suppose if the car isn't quick enough there is always the juice again huh?
Thanks
Old 08-30-2007, 05:53 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by r8ceredy
Man, you guys are a quite the pool of info. That engine is very close to the one I am envisioning. I already bought the Edelbrock heads and intake (got a smoking deal on racingjunk ) so I gotta work with them. Hopefully the smaller runner size will make the car more responsive on the street. I fiqure on an electric water pump and fan to "free"up some hp. The only parasitic drag on the engine is an underdriven power steering pump and alternator. Another question for all. Is 2" or 2 1/8" primary Hooker SuperComp headers preferrable? They make both to fit my 68 Camaro. They show a 3 1/2 collector that I will run to a dual 3" system with H pipe and QTP dumpouts. I like the Hooker Aerochamber sound so I'll probably go that way again. Looking at the engine in the previous posting I think I will need a 950cfm carb? I suppose if the car isn't quick enough there is always the juice again huh?
Thanks
[img]
http://login.dealerskins.com/sitespecific/SchepelTrucks/medialibrary/camaro1.jpg[/img]
is the car above the car you will put the motor in ?

i have a 67 camaro 3,000 lbs and it has a 511ci. set of worked Big Broadie heads ( never been flow bench tested so i do not have a clue what they flow). 4.375 bore 4.25 stroke callies stealth crank..

anyhow on foot brake on a set of worn out 14x32's and off the trailer so to speak, 1st time ever in the car i went a 6.07et at 115mph with a 1.39 60ft..( on pass #4). i went a 6.50et at 110mph on a 1st time ever blind pass (shakedown),,not having a clue what it would do 1st time down..

the motor (511) pulled great..after i got it dialed in i feel it will run some mid low 5.90's possibly some mid to high 80's...i have no clue what this is in the 1/4 mile...i am turning it 6800/6900 thru the traps and it still pulling hard..so i feel to squeeze everything out of it i need to be turning it 7200/7300 rpm.....i long shifted the car one pass and got into the 7400 range and i could really feel the difference in the power... i am running a 500 gear right now...so i figure a 514 to a 529 and i would be in the ball park..
i also run a glide with a 1.80 low gear

i hope this helps you decide what to run in your car with your 511

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 08-30-2007, 08:57 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

(quote)
4.375 stroke 4.25 callies stealth crank..

BJ, which of the throws is 4.25 and which are 4.375. i'm just ondering if you run 2 and 2 :lol:

Zip.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:43 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Heeeheee...thats good...fat fingered the computer here...4.375 BORE..4.25 stroke....two finger typer here..... ops:

plus i do not see anything....'WHA CHO TALKIN ABIUT ZIP"?..LMAO :roll: :roll:

Old 08-31-2007, 03:56 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

This one really blew my mind in cunfusion. lol.

BJ, which of the throws is 4.25 and which are 4.375. i'm just ondering if you run 2 and 2

Zip.

Now I understand.

Ed
Old 08-31-2007, 06:08 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

..don't lose faith in me just yet Ed...LOL
You thought we had some secret weapon here in S.C.....lol :shock: :shock:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -