Vega Build, Engine Setback?

Old 05-20-2013, 07:15 PM
kend
JOURNEYMAN

Default Vega Build, Engine Setback?

It's a drag car that'll have a 383 and Glide so before I nail it down should I set it back? If so, how far? I just bought the car and never driven it but I'm concerned about handling issues, it would be a lot easier to leave the engine where it is. Maybe I'm worrying about nothing but I would like some input. Thanks
Old 05-20-2013, 08:58 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Moving your engine 'back' is going to require firewall modification and possibly additional sub frame fabrication. Lots of Vega's with V8's out there with no setback and no handling issues.
We've a couple of Vega racers here so they will have much more detailed info for ya. Welcome to the forum !
Old 05-21-2013, 01:09 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

I don't have my Vega anymore, but I set the engine back so it sat about the same position as the engine in a 67 Camaro I had. There was no firewall when I got it so it was no big problem. It had a V8 kit that came with the body, but It looked too nose heavy to me. I'll try to find some pics.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:30 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

Depends on what you're going to do with it . . . Although I haven't built a gasser or other door car for over 40 years, NHRA still has some rules pertaining to engine setback for certain classes.

You'd probably be better off reading the rule book pertaining to the class(es) you want to run. As an example, I think (Don't hold me to it) S/G has a 10% (of the wheelbase) setback using the centerline of the spindle and the #1 spark plug as the data points.

Certain classes have certain dimensions and it shouldn't really be an arbitrary decision . .
Old 05-24-2013, 05:38 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

..on the other hand, if you're just running brackets, then there are NO rules except safety equipment....I think.... :shock: ops: ops: ops: ops:
Old 05-27-2013, 04:57 AM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

6 to 8 inches seems to be the norm for motor set backs on the vega... alot keep it in the stock pos. too
Old 05-27-2013, 07:00 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Set the number 1 spark plug on center with the front spindles and the car will be happy you did, and so will you. I've only built/had 2 vega's but that where they were set.

JMO

Zip
Old 06-03-2013, 06:25 PM
chevyart
MASTER BUILDER

Default vegas

join our site. h-body.org(go to forums). no charge to join and the most vega info on the planet chevy aret
Old 08-22-2013, 04:01 PM
ballsout1
JOURNEYMAN

fwiw... if the firewall is modified a cage as opposed to a bar is reqiured. this may or may not be a concern to ya. if your going cage than i believe the spark plug and spindle advise you got is probably about right.