dparker
RACING JUNKIE

530 HP
Old 03-12-2009, 03:13 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by montecarlo84
Originally Posted by TopspeedLowet
My guess is 410 uncorrected horsepower peak. The calculation is pounds of fuel per hour divided by the Brake specific fuel consumption right off your dyno sheet. That is the observed horsepower, before the sea level correction that the engine is NOT doing on the dyno.
Is that because it is a ford
No, it's not a ford thing. It's a dyno thing. I can make any number show up after correction on your dyno sheet with bogus weather correction's and friction factors. This is how engine builders and marketers sell there engines and how they fudge the numbers, with barometer corrections The actual numbers or observed numbers that the fuel# and BSFC numbers give are what your torque converter sees and what you actually have to push your car down the track with. Not the corrected to sea level or mega sub sea level numbers you likely see on your dyno sheet. Take your weather station to the dyno and find the C.F. correction factor. You then multiply the correction by the observed #'s to get the unimportant sea level corrections #'s. This is how you can police your engine builder dyno operator. This info will save you from getting the wrong info to your torque converter builder and give you real world #'s. I used to work for a Lin/ Merc dealership in north palm beach florida in the late 80's and made a good living off ford back then. I think the Chevy guys are more likely to accept bogus numbers, because they all expect big easy horsepower that the builders publish. As a recovering Oldsmobile engine builder, I can tell you that I have had many 500 HP small blocks that out ran other guys 700HP dynoed engines. Go figure.
I would adjust my estimate of 410 to 450 if I could, but I will have to stick with the first card I played like every one else. The bore diameter is why I chose the 410 earlier.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:30 PM
radicalz
MASTER BUILDER

.....500-550hp.......
Old 03-14-2009, 04:11 AM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

TopspeedLowet

You are absolutely correct. I have seen this done more than once. Customers are unaware of this and only assume the dyno system is as correct as a calculator. Telling theirselves, It must be right because the dyno sheet says so.

I have also seen this used in a negative way as well with dishonest dyno operators.

I have seen the dishonest dyno operator run a motor knowing it is going to put out a low number, telling the engine owner after a few pulls on the dyno that he thinks his engine is capable of more horse power and if the engine owner would let him play with it for a day or so he will see what he can do. All the while the dyno operator knowing hes about to take this guy for a ride.

One or two days later the engine owner shows up and the dyno operator relucantly tells the engine owner He was able to get a little more power, I hope your happy with it. The dyno operator then indicates, Well I had to do this and I had to do that and this is going to cost you this and that is going to cost you that, putting the engine owner in an uncomfortable state,THEN>>>>>>>>>>>

The miracle dyno pull occurs, the engine owner is jumping up and down with the numbers his motor is making and he lays that wad of cash in the dyno operators hand.

EVERYBODY IS HAPPY BUT IT AIN'T RIGHT
Old 03-16-2009, 04:25 PM
FullTimeRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by montecarlo84
My guess is 410 uncorrected horsepower peak. The calculation is pounds of fuel per hour divided by the Brake specific fuel consumption right off your dyno sheet. That is the observed horsepower, before the sea level correction that the engine is NOT doing on the dyno.
Is that because it is a ford
No, it's not a ford thing. It's a dyno thing. I can make any number show up after correction on your dyno sheet with bogus weather correction's and friction factors. This is how engine builders and marketers sell there engines and how they fudge the numbers, with barometer corrections The actual numbers or observed numbers that the fuel# and BSFC numbers give are what your torque converter sees and what you actually have to push your car down the track with. Not the corrected to sea level or mega sub sea level numbers you likely see on your dyno sheet. Take your weather station to the dyno and find the C.F. correction factor. You then multiply the correction by the observed #'s to get the unimportant sea level corrections #'s. This is how you can police your engine builder dyno operator. This info will save you from getting the wrong info to your torque converter builder and give you real world #'s. I used to work for a Lin/ Merc dealership in north palm beach florida in the late 80's and made a good living off ford back then. I think the Chevy guys are more likely to accept bogus numbers, because they all expect big easy horsepower that the builders publish. As a recovering Oldsmobile engine builder, I can tell you that I have had many 500 HP small blocks that out ran other guys 700HP dynoed engines. Go figure.
I would adjust my estimate of 410 to 450 if I could, but I will have to stick with the first card I played like every one else. The bore diameter is why I chose the 410 earlier.

I was just tring to be funny. :lol: ,ma bad.

I only run my car at the track. It's more fun than a dyno.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:23 PM
bryanm
JUNIOR BUILDER

Well I just back home from my dyno session and I came up a little short of my goal. My motor made 580hp and 540 ft/lbs of torque. It ran great and sounded great. I guess we will see what kind of times it turns in my car which is what really matters. Hopefully it will run in the 10's.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:56 PM
slickfuel
CRAFTSMAN

slickfuel
APPRENTICE

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:06 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will say,.....

576 hp @ 6500rpm
532 ftlbs @ 5000rpm

the Slickster
8)

Give me the specs on your car and, the conditions you will run in
and I will give that a shot too...????
Old 03-21-2009, 03:10 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Ok slickster you won!
now, whats my nickname?

Man that thing should see 10's easy, that's some pretty good numbers for a mild small ford.

Cp
Old 03-21-2009, 07:00 PM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

yeah Slick, you called that one but a couple of us were right on your tail.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:58 PM
FullTimeRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

Man that thing should see 10's easy, that's some pretty good numbers for a mild small ford.

Cp[/quote]
I just did one of those HP calculators on my setup #3000 me in it ,30in tall tire 2 shifts 4.56 gear it says my motor makes 450 to 477

that running a 10.90 at 123mph

Bryanm should have one fast ford!