sharing an email from an RJ customer

Old 08-02-2010, 07:46 AM
PJ
CRAFTSMAN

Default sharing an email from an RJ customer

Had to post an email, this email came in over the weekend, I've removed the name but because it touches on many topics about the site I wanted to post my answers here, as I'm sure many of you feel the same on certain topics.

Paul,
I've been using Racingjunk for years now and over the past few years the things that have gotten worse (to me) are:
Too many dealer ads (have to get thru before getting to real ads)
The deal for putting ads in has gotten more restrictive
Number of pics allowed reduced
Ability to delete an ad and replace taken away
staying in as a new ad helped selling or at least getting actual contacts
restricting ability to see members pics to check out the rides they can only put 2 pics in for

Last but not least, the fact that now the people looking at the ads are only looky loos, every one wants pics nobody makes contact, I've had much more luck with Craigslist and Ebay (and I hate ebay)
Still find myself looking for trades and local deals here but I get frustrated having to sift thru the first 50 ads being dealer ads not "real people" and the same dealers and ads every freakin day.
Well I hope this feedback is what you were looking for, I know I used to be on here everyday and lately it's been very rare.

XXXXX, thank you for the email. I would like to address each of your concerns

1. Too many dealer ads (have to get thru before getting to real ads)
Dealer ads are real ads too, but I understand what you mean here. Ads posted by individuals make up of 90% of the total ads that are active. Dealers only have 10% of the ad postings. You may notice dealer ads more as they are paying for more ad spots and are very active in their ad postings. They may have someone working for them that continually reposts the ads back to the beginning to keep them fresher, but any individual who posts an ad has the same opportunity to keep the ad just as active. We don't stop anyone from posting an ad, removing the ad a minute later and post another one, over and over. You could have an ad that never leaves the top spot if you were active in posting the ad again and again.
Also, when browsing the ads you can SORT any listing and have Basic members ads first, or Club members ads first, this way you can have the ads posted by dealers at the end. So sorting your list can help eliminate that issue as well.

2. The deal for putting ads in has gotten more restrictive

2A Number of pics allowed reduced
Actually we have now bumped up the amount of pictures WAY up, before a gallery could only have 10 images now anyone can have up to 25 images per posting, your statement is just the opposite of what is really happening on our site.

2B Ability to delete an ad and replace taken away
Anyone can mark an item SOLD and then post it again. It's the same as a DELETE because we do not track sales of any item you can do this over and over again to post another ad.

2C restricting ability to see members pics to check out the rides they can only put 2 pics in for
The profile pictures on someones RaceSpace profile are for personal images, not ad images. We allow people to post more pictures on any ad, if they are saying you have to check out more in their profile, please ask them to put them in their ad. You can see profile images of any account once you are a friend.

3 Last but not least, the fact that now the people looking at the ads are only looky loos, every one wants pics nobody makes contact,
Unfortunately we cannot control who may or may not look at an item. I'm sure with the economy the way it is and unemployment rate at a 20 year high, there are people who can't afford the same items as they used to in the past. This we cannot control as to the quality of buyer you may have on your item.

I hope this helps a little on why you may not be getting the same results as you once did in the past. However we can tell you that traffic to our site is at an all time high. We can only try to do everything we can to get more people looking at your items, not bad for a site that does not charge a dime to use, and still has that global reach as our site does.

We certainly appreciate your comments and thoughts, please let us know how you feel about anything on our site so that we can try to resolve any issue you may have. We thank you for using our site and always look to having people send us comments.

That goes for everyone in the FORUMS too, please send me an email to [email protected] if you have any questions or would like me to check out a forum post that you would like addressed.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:01 PM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

Thanks for the info. As far as not tracking the sales though, when you click the sold option, it does show up in your member status as items sold, the difference between items sold and number of honor payments is a big dealbreaker to some on here. This is the reason I stopped posting ads, as you have no option to show the item was not actually sold, just reposted, and unless you make an honor payment anyway, it affects your status. (I don't mind making a payment when it is actually sold.) And when I do the feedback polls, I have the same suggestion, add an option to separate dealer ads from individual ads. The couple of times I have done a deal with a dealer on here has been less than satisfactory, so I don't care to have to scroll through them to get to what I want to see. At the least, how about an option not to view the trailer ads, they constantly repost as you state, and I know of very few people actually in the market for one...
Old 08-03-2010, 06:49 AM
PJ
CRAFTSMAN

Default Follow up

mytmouz, marking the item sold does NOT have any impact on your status, the two systems are completely independent, the only time an item ever is shown on your account as an item, is when you make an Honor Payment. If no honor payment is made then it does not show up on your account at all. You could make 100 sales and mark each one sold and if there was no Honor Payment made it would not show on the account one bit.

Unfortunately we cannot separate the dealer ads from the rest of the ads, you can SORT it differently if you would like to move it to the end, but we cannot take them out.

We did toy with the idea to let you pick and choose what categories you would want displayed, but it was found to be too much of a load for the servers, we are still looking at an option for that.

PJ
Old 08-03-2010, 11:45 AM
bbchevy
RACING JUNKIE

Default Site

PJ,
I have a few things to bring up!
1.The deal about having to be a Freind to see there Profile,is BS!!
2.The Commercial Ads realy TAKE AWAY from the Little Guys Ads!
3.This 1 is something I have Kicked around EVERYTIME My Membership comes Due.If you Pay the Membership,there should be a BONUS of some Type for Making a Honor Payment.I mean look at the Guys that pay the 49.95 per Year verses the 1's that dont?I REALY think that this Needs Looked into!!!
I have been here since Day 1,so alot of things have came and went along with People!
4.This is JMO,and if it Hurts?Get a Bandaid and SUCK-IT-UP!
Later
G 8)
Old 08-04-2010, 07:35 AM
PJ
CRAFTSMAN

Default Follow up

bb, Ill tackle your questions here

1.The deal about having to be a Friend to see there Profile,is BS!!

You can still see the profile, and if you are a friend you can still see the images. We understand having to be a friend can be a pain and you certainly don't have to be, but personal images are listed here and this glitch was only found by someone complaining about how NON friends could see his images. When we looked into it we found he was right, our privacy policy stated one thing, but a programming glitch allowed this loop hole to exist. We had to close this based off our policies. It only became an issue of people posting AD images in there an not in the AD, where the ad images should be.

2.The Commercial Ads really TAKE AWAY from the Little Guys Ads!

You may think that because you see a long list of one companies ads you are getting slighted, however you are on the same playing field they are. When you post an ad you go in front of them, again the 90% ads are listed by individual accounts and can be sorted so that dealer ads are at the end.

3.This 1 is something I have Kicked around EVERY TIME My Membership comes Due.If you Pay the Membership,there should be a BONUS of some Type for Making a Honor Payment.I mean look at the Guys that pay the 49.95 per Year verses the 1's that don't?I REALLY think that this Needs Looked into!!!
I have been here since Day 1,so a lot of things have came and went along with People!

Club Membership has many advantages over the free basic membership, higher ad placement per page, more ad positions, free galleries on every ad posted, free super-size images, thumbnail displaying and viewing, store discounts and discounts on many merchants such as hotel discounts and the like.

Honor Members get the distinction of having an icon on their future posts and that can help someone decide if someone wants to buy something from someone, however the Honor payment is a donation it is not mandatory and if you think the site helped you make a sale AND if you want to contribute you can.

4.This is JMO,and if it Hurts?Get a Band-aid and SUCK-IT-UP!

I have very thick skin and have a very big straw, and we love all opinions, we actually get more out of people who have problems or issues with the site for feedback because we can address certain things, without it the SORT function would have never happened at all, without it Race Space would have never been invented, without it this Forum and its Feedback topic would have never been implemented, so keep the comments coming no matter what the topic. We realize everyone is just trying to get the most out of the site and we appreciate that passion as we can only grow to help more and more people because of people like yourself.

Thank you
Old 08-04-2010, 07:48 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

PJ,
I want to thank you personally for coming on here and explaining things. I know the forum is technically seperate from the selling site but people can learn a lot from coming over here and reading through the posts.

Thanks again

As close to "Normal" as I can get...