Fire System Install

Old 07-27-2010, 12:30 PM
sslarue
APPRENTICE

Default Fire System Install

Considering going to an installed 10 lbs fire system. Any recommendations on where and how to mount the nozzles? From checking out some fire system company websites it seems most recommend one for each header and one in the drivers compartment , but don't really give any detailed installation instructions. Would appreciate any thoughts / suggestions or photos would also be helpful. Thanks
Old 07-27-2010, 05:55 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

You can pretty much do it where you want...the whole purpose is to buy YOU time to get out of the car and save the engine 2nd..and always in that order...i got mine hooked up where where it would spray me in the lap and my k-5 area of my chest....the nozzles rn the engine compartment points off the firewall down toward the heads and headers.

in my old 63 vette the Nozzle would spray in my lap...the engine compartment sparying back toward under the engine oil pan etc...

the 3/8 tubing can be bent by hand and very user friendly.

god forbid i ever have to engage it...trapped in a burning car is a fear of mine and one of the reasons i stopped running alcohol
i

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 07-28-2010, 04:25 AM
qtrmile2
DYNO OPERATOR

My Grand Prix chassis Bickel car had a system from Bickel and the nozzles were located like Brian explained. My Pontiac blew the motor at 150mph in the traps. I didn't know it was on fire. The car filled up with smoke and I didn't see any flames. My shoes were burned and the shoe strings. Melted the tail lights and burned the shute off. Both sides of the car were burned. I didn't set off the system because I didn't think it was on fire. When I got it stopped the track guys emptied there extinguishers on the car and me.
So, when in doubt hit the system but it's a job to clean that stuff up. Seems like the fire goes to your lower body and feet on a chasis car.
It did on my car. Brian, I was running gas so they catch on fire too. Probably not as much as alcohol but they still do.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:50 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

You can't 'see' the flames on Alky.
I remember many 60's-70's Indy 500's when pit crews caught fire during refilling and no one could 'see' the flames, only felt the heat.

IDEALLY you run two 10 lb systems, one for the driver and one for the engine room. It's a whole bunch less expensive than a single MINUTE in a burn center !!
Old 07-28-2010, 09:41 AM
ccperf721p
SENIOR BUILDER

I run a single 10lb system in my altered, twin nozzles, both in the drivers compartment. One pointed down towards my feet, the other pointed at my chest.

With the engine out in the open and the 120+ lbs of fuel pressure I like to run, I just didn't feel a system on the engine would have much effect. Always figured I could build a new car as long as my skin was still attached..
Old 07-28-2010, 11:25 AM
sslarue
APPRENTICE

Thanks everyone for all the responses. Hopefully it is something that will never have to be used.
Brian - Did you just run your lines on the inside under the dash, and then come thru the fire wall and fab some sort of mounting bracket for the nozzles?

Thanks - Scott
Old 07-28-2010, 02:41 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by sslarue
Thanks everyone for all the responses. Hopefully it is something that will never have to be used.
Brian - Did you just run your lines on the inside under the dash, and then come thru the fire wall and fab some sort of mounting bracket for the nozzles?

Thanks - Scott
yes thats what i did. the bracket can be a real simple Piece...1/4 piece of aluminum you can buy at Home depot or lowes bore your Hole (fire system installation directions should give the Hole size) and place the threaded end cap.....you will see its a fairly simple fab that can be done with basic household tools. the aluminum tubing is really flexiable and will conform to however you want to bend it...just don't make a sharp bend and crink it

Good luck and hope you never need to use the equipment but great to have

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 07-30-2010, 06:22 AM
sslarue
APPRENTICE

yes thats what i did. the bracket can be a real simple Piece...1/4 piece of aluminum you can buy at Home depot or lowes bore your Hole (fire system installation directions should give the Hole size) and place the threaded end cap.....you will see its a fairly simple fab that can be done with basic household tools. the aluminum tubing is really flexiable and will conform to however you want to bend it...just don't make a sharp bend and crink it

Good luck and hope you never need to use the equipment but great to have
Thats how I was envisioning we would do it – but just wanted to see if we were on the right path or if somebody had a better solution / idea. Thanks again for the suggestions and help - Scott