Small Block Chevy rear main seal

Old 11-24-2009, 08:45 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Rotating the seal is just insurance.

I never rotated them before mine started leaking on my 496, shortly after the build I might add.

I didnt wanna go there again as it was a major pain in the a ss to do soooo.... when I put the new seal in, I rotated it.

It hasn't dripped a drop since.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:25 AM
hollowayshotrods
RACING JUNKIE

Hink,
Maybe it is time to work on the arrogance problem since you have all the motor knowledge you need. Afterall, it is the light you cast yourself in since you couldn't take Curtis having a little fun.
BTW, I rotate mine too.......No leaks......
Yes, YOU MUST BE LUCKY!!!!

Originally Posted by hink
Originally Posted by doorracer
Carl,

Don't be dispelling the myths and misinformation that some of us hold on to. LOL You have to rotate the seal it said so in Hot Rod when I was a kid. :lol: :lol: Sometimes you do what makes you feel good, you know. I have talked myself into doing worse things. I've never had one leak either.

Curtis
We do this for a liveing and never had any problems and GM has done niliions of them and they never seem to have any issues with the amout they have done over the years.

I have taken dome big name engines apart and they have not rotated the seal either.

Its hard to beleive you would no more about putting in rear seals then DEI, Roush, Hendricks and RCR and Felpro. Maybe you know something they don't
Old 11-25-2009, 04:26 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Rudy,

I don't think Carl meant to be arrogant. I have read a bunch of stuff he has posted before and I do believe he got the sarcasm in my post. I believe his post both backs up his point for people who are less knowledgable about engines and in the end jabs me a little. He is a pretty busy guy so maybe it came off wrong to some people.

Curtis
Old 11-25-2009, 04:49 AM
suicidebomb
RACING JUNKIE

Well, as usual I'm doin it the wrong way :lol:
Old 11-25-2009, 05:07 AM
hollowayshotrods
RACING JUNKIE

Curtis,
Thanks for letting me know. I do understand what you are saying, I have a buddy the same way,,means no harm, just comes off the wrong way sometimes. I just took it as him saying we are all wrong and he is right because he does it for a living. I have to assume out of ALL the engines he has built, none have ever leaked out of the rear main, that is very difficult for me to believe.
Anyway, hope you and your family have a great Thanksgiving, as usual giving RA some thought around this time of year. Glad to hear he is in the states training, hope you get to see him for Thanksgiving.

Hink,
Don't take it personal, just giving my opinion of what I read and how I decipher its' intended meaning to the reader. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family as well.

Rudy,

I don't think Carl meant to be arrogant. I have read a bunch of stuff he has posted before and I do believe he got the sarcasm in my post. I believe his post both backs up his point for people who are less knowledgable about engines and in the end jabs me a little. He is a pretty busy guy so maybe it came off wrong to some people.

Curtis
Old 11-25-2009, 06:05 AM
hink
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by hollowayshotrods
Hink,
Maybe it is time to work on the arrogance problem since you have all the motor knowledge you need. Afterall, it is the light you cast yourself in since you couldn't take Curtis having a little fun.
BTW, I rotate mine too.......No leaks......
Yes, YOU MUST BE LUCKY!!!!

Originally Posted by hink
Carl,

Don't be dispelling the myths and misinformation that some of us hold on to. LOL You have to rotate the seal it said so in Hot Rod when I was a kid. :lol: :lol: Sometimes you do what makes you feel good, you know. I have talked myself into doing worse things. I've never had one leak either.

Curtis
We do this for a liveing and never had any problems and GM has done niliions of them and they never seem to have any issues with the amout they have done over the years.

I have taken dome big name engines apart and they have not rotated the seal either.

Its hard to beleive you would no more about putting in rear seals then DEI, Roush, Hendricks and RCR and Felpro. Maybe you know something they don't

Interesting as I talk to a shop this morning that does alot performance engines and he got an engine in a while ago for circle track application that always had a small leak and when the guy rotated the seal and set the cap in place it pealed the back of the seal off which was piled up between the cap and the block.

Its pretty hard to use the plastic installation tool with the seal rotated when your setting the cap on.

FWIW he also does not rotate the seal either.

Think about !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-25-2009, 07:29 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Intresting thread, i've never rotated the seals either. Most of the blown eniges i've built seem to leak a little, i just chalk it up to blow by. The only other ones i've had trouble with are a line bored GM 400 blk, i started putting a .030 alum shim under the seal top and bottom and solved those problems. I do use a little silicone at the parting lines.

JMO

Zip.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:08 PM
DRTRCR22
EXPERT BUILDER

I have line bore and line honed thousands of 350 block over the years and unless we are putting on a billet rear cap I have never touched the seal area. 400 blocks are a different story!! I have never in 38 years of building engines ever offset the rear seal in a block before.

Ooooops, I am wrong, sorry... I was thinking of 400 blocks, my bad...

I have a Dart Little M 400 main block that was lined bored, and I had to use a special undersize seal because of the line bore. Mine is a 388 using a 3.625 stroke with 4.125 bore and 6" rods, so I guess when i read 383 I was thinking 400 block mains...?