DON'T BUY FRAM OIL FILTERS !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-19-2010, 01:44 PM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

Default Re: DON'T BUY FRAM OIL FILTERS !!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Guber2
Originally Posted by Guber2
I had an old guy tell me once "a piss poor mechanic blames his equipment. :wink:
A filer only keeps the big piece's out :wink:
A collapsed filter also keeps the oil out and actually the screen on the pick-up tube keeps the big pieces out.

An engine with quite a few miles on it will have a certain amount of junk in the crankcase. When the filter has collapsed it not only is lowering the amount of oil the engine gets, but the majority of the oil that is circulating is doing so through the open by-pass. So instead of getting a decent volume of clean oil for the bearings, you are getting an inadequate amount of dirty oil.

If filtering an engine's oil isn't important then why do all modern engines have one? Maybe it's just there so the piss-poor mechanics have something to blame their mistakes on.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:15 AM
jaxsmith
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Fram Racing Filters are GOOD Quality units. The only filter I have had issues with was a Purolator Pure One. I have cut many filters apart and the Fram racing filter or Wix racing filter is all I would ever consider running. I personally run Fram racing filters on my car. The cores are metal screen instead of carboard and welded to the metal end caps rather than glued with a heavy gauge can. Cut a few apart and you will see who makes a good filter. The Fram racing filter is a good unit. I dont work for Fram and I dont get paid to put this on here but if you would compare the insides you would clearly see they are superior.

Again, dont buy the "standard" filter and put it on a HP engine and expect it to work. Most of us run our engines with the bypass blocked so be ready for filter failure if you are going to run a standard filter.

The first thing most people consider when buying a race pump is Volume and Pressure. You buy High Volume, High Pressure pumps and put in an engine with a blocked bypass and then you have to deal with 100% filtration and higher volume and pressure on a filter that was designed for 30 psi and 50% filtration. Even the best standard duty filters were not designed for 75-80 psi at the flow rates we are talking about.

We gripe and complain about a $3 filter when for less than $9 you can put a good one on it. The best bearings and oil in the world will not protect an engine with a collapsed filter. No filter and a screen would be a better option for us than a cheap filter.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:20 PM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

Jaxsmith, the problem I have with fram is they make a junk product that fails and causes engine damage on a stock daily driver and refuse to make good on the damage their product causes. I personally refuse to support a company like that.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:56 PM
jaxsmith
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

I understand your feelings 100%. All the major companies that put out these big product warranty type claims have a 100 page disclosure full of weasel clauses. I personally run the Fram on my brides ride and have for 100,000 miles. It now has 186,000 on it.

We all get shafted from time to time. I once bought an AC Delco Fuel pump from a parts house instead of a GM Dealer. I bought this because of the "Lifetime Warranty" GM was advertising. Eighteen months later I had to buy another because my parts house warranty ran out at twelve months. I was pi**ed!

I think about this subject every month when I buy that new Fram filter.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:16 PM
BuckeyeShaker
APPRENTICE

superbadass468,
Was your fram filter a PH13 or a PH4? Just curious. Thank's
Old 11-23-2010, 05:05 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

I have not had a Fram fail like some of these horrific stories, but I stay away from them for the reason gearhead101 sites....

It is like this: If you want a cheesburger, there is a pretty good chance you might buy it from McDonalds right??? Does not mean it will be a good cheeseburger... but they sure make most of them in a day... so you buy it.

Screw FRAM if they lawyer-up everytime thier product fails. That money damn sure could have went into new R&D to prevent these failures... or it could have paid for the customers blown motor they caused.... instead they lawyer up... that speaks VOLUMES about a company.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

If you read the links MEM posted it says that FRAM does not actually make oil filters.They haven't in years. I suspect,like everyone else these days,they sourced out to the cheapest vendor.You get what you pay for.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:07 PM
shybx1969
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by Tod74
If you read the links MEM posted it says that FRAM does not actually make oil filters.They haven't in years. I suspect,like everyone else these days,they sourced out to the cheapest vendor.You get what you pay for.
Wouldnt you think they would wake up!!!!And get the quality back....or did they ever have it???When i was a kid in the 60s/70s they were thought of as top of the line...at least in my area..you guys remember the commercial w/the mechanic..pay me now or..... :roll:
Old 11-27-2010, 07:42 AM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

I think RJ should make this thread a sticky and maybe a link to the engine section. We could link other threads like this one http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtop...er=asc&start=0 and maybe help some guys avoid the expensive lesson some of have had to learn.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:30 PM
dartsteve
JOURNEYMAN

Default filter

never ever turn damaged parts over the the manufacture. they will destroy the evidence.