troubles puilling harmonic balancer

Old 06-16-2013, 07:40 AM
Happn21
SHOW GUEST

Default troubles puilling harmonic balancer

I'm on my second day trying to pull my balancer I have center bolt and washer removed as I have done a hundred times. It's a ATI super damper. when I installed new it went on a little hard. last year when I replaced lifter rollers I honed balancer for a better fit. now when pulling I think it moves just a wee bit the only thing I think it can be is a messed up key has anyone had a key bend or twisted
Old 06-16-2013, 01:37 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

Did you hone it to size or just a guess to where it went on easier? If you honed it to big it can actually weld itself to the crank so to speak. if and when you get it off you will probably see marks on the crank snout and inside the dampner. Good luck. Oh don't ask how I know this. ops:
Old 06-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Happn21
SHOW GUEST

Ok I bet your right. but how did your friend so to speak get his off. it moves 16th in and out but that's as far as it goes
Old 06-17-2013, 05:12 AM
itsabird
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by BEAST477
Did you hone it to size or just a guess to where it went on easier? If you honed it to big it can actually weld itself to the crank so to speak. if and when you get it off you will probably see marks on the crank snout and inside the dampner. Good luck. Oh don't ask how I know this. ops:
Yep i have seen that happen twice. and both times, it took the old heat wrench, to remove them.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:33 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

Try this . . Take a propane torch and heat the crank snout to about 175° or so. LET IT COOL. Put on your puller, apply a little tension.

Then take a can of "Air" and cool the damper. The expansion of the previous heating and then cooling of both pieces will cause them to "Shrink" slightly away from each other, and if you just keep tension on your puller, it ought to come off fairly easily.

A word of advice about the "Fire Scissors" or the Rosebud. When heating a piece of metal, whether it's Iron or Aluminum or anything in between, anything over about 200° of heat applied to metal is just a waste of BTUs unless you're gonna cut it off. 90% of the expansion of a metal object is achieved at that temperature. Anything more will generally affect the hardness or temper of the metal.

And, generally, if you have to heat it to loosen it, it needs to be cool to touch before you start twisting on it with a wrench or other device. You expand it and then shrink it. That's the loosening process.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:59 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Had same problem with ATI balancer. Used same technique as roadkill described but for the cooling I used a can of do it yourself AC refridgerent from auto zone.. Slipped right off with 1/3rd effort.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 06-25-2013, 01:26 AM
Happn21
SHOW GUEST

I ended up cutting balancer off I wasn't going to reuse it after all the trouble Ive had! I just want to thank all you guys for input
Old 06-25-2013, 06:05 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

well I knew I should have posted the right way on here. first you tie a rope around the bal. then you tie block to truck then you tie bal. to big tree, then you put truck ingear and go forward,fast. then you pick up pieces. of said truck or tree. and you are good to go.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:48 AM
fast75vega
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by outlaw256
well I knew I should have posted the right way on here. first you tie a rope around the bal. then you tie block to truck then you tie bal. to big tree, then you put truck ingear and go forward,fast. then you pick up pieces. of said truck or tree. and you are good to go.
lmao... works all the time :wink:
Old 06-25-2013, 11:10 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by outlaw256
Never saw a Damper pulled that way but I have seen the old guys way back when, straightening the frame on a car or truck that had been in a wreck that way . . . Biiiiiiggg Cottonwood tree! Heavy Chain . . .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -