Methanol Prices?

Old 04-27-2008, 08:06 PM
ken0069
MASTER BUILDER

Default Methanol Prices?

OK guys, what ae you paying for methanol now? It was $6 a gallon at Roxboro Motorsports last Saturday!
Old 04-27-2008, 08:16 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

$3.00 around here can be had for less if I want to drive further
Old 04-28-2008, 07:56 AM
kslicks
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

I needed meth for my kids jr's, i paid $6.99 this past friday at the same place i have been buying it for the last 3 years. last october it was up to $4.20 a gallon from $2.35 in the beginning of the year. I'm glad i did not convert my race car to meth like i wanted to becouse at 40-45% more use to the cost now is rediculess.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:04 PM
ken0069
MASTER BUILDER

When I first switched to alky back around 1995 I bought four 60 gal. drums from Alan Gatt at Interstate Racing Fuels in Maryland for $365 shipped to my door!! Dayum! I guess those days are gone forever!

RE: Expense, had I known where this was going, that new 18* SBC I built last year would be 12.5 to 1 rather than 15.2 to 1 compression. I got to either run alky or C16 and it comes out to about the same money even with the 2.3 ratio for methanol. C16 is right at $10 a gallon and with Methanol around $4.50, go figure.

Last year I paid $135 a drum. This year that same supplier is $250. He's buying the stuff from a chemical company in Dayton, Va but he has to buy like 10 drums at a time. I had thought about trying to do a buy in but that number of drums would cost me over $2000 and I don't have that kind of money since I'm retired.

I got about 12 gallons of methanol left then I'll be switching over to the 5 gal. can of C16 I got here in the shop. After that I'll probably just park it for a while!

With diesel and alky over $4 a gal., race gas @$10 a gal, race entry fees @ $50 and payouts not increasing makes me wonder if I need to find another hobby!
Old 04-28-2008, 12:44 PM
v8Fiero
MASTER BUILDER

I am familiar with the distilation process of ethanol for fuel but how much different would it be to produce methanol? isnt that just wood alcohol? (instead of corn or vegies). would a person be able to use the same still and process to distill methanol as they do ethanol?
Old 04-28-2008, 02:46 PM
andamo
MASTER BUILDER

Methanol is often called wood alcohol because it was once produced chiefly as a byproduct of the destructive distillation of wood. It is now produced synthetically by a multi-step process: natural gas and steam are reformed in a furnace to produce hydrogen and carbon monoxide; then, hydrogen and carbon monoxide gases react under pressure in the presence of a catalyst.