dart little M oil restrickers?

Old 12-05-2009, 08:01 PM
DRTRCR22
EXPERT BUILDER

Well, the JG Break-In oil has a very high concetration of ZDDP just for that reason. It now has about an 1/2 hour run time with about four gallons of VP113 run thru it.

I will be setting the car back up on alky, and will run it in again on alky for another half hour before changing out to the JG-XP4.

If I am not mistaken, I think ALL the XP grades have extra ZDDP in them, that is why they cost $5.00 to $9.00 a qt. depending on blend.
That sure is hard to swallow, but then again so is $13k in broken pieces all over the track... :cry:

From what I have learned about current shelf blends, and the reason these race oil comapnies are having to put new stuff in their race oils, I can't see that we have any choice, even for moderate and mild street machines...? :roll:
Old 12-05-2009, 10:00 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I hear you, i have a friend, runs a 350 sprinter, basically stock bottom end (rules) with 2 3/16" injection on alcohol. He lost 3 cams before he got to the track (no roller allowed) the cam company's said O'Well, not our problem, they suggested nitrating the cam. They say the lifters are not as hard as in the past, but truth is the oils are not what they used to be. I have a killer 406" with a flat tappet cam, that ran 10 yrs. ago and i'm trying to figure out how to not make the cam go flat when i put it togethger and on the street.

Zip.

PS, you are going to be amazed at the tourque difference between the 404" and the 388" i'm not a roundy, round racer, but i can tell you the difference on the drag strip are dramatic.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:16 PM
DRTRCR22
EXPERT BUILDER

Yes... that is another whole story about the cams now days...

When we decided to pull the roller cam out of the equation, to make the engine fully IMCA legal, Mike insisted on a 'hardened nitrided' flat tappet cam and lifter combo from JR Motorsports.

This kit cost more than twice as much as I was use to paying, but is almost mandatory nowdays because of declining cam, lifter and oil quality.

A hardened cam should last a full season, whereas a current standard non-hardened cam and lifter kit may not make a full season of hard abuse.

I can't hardly wait to put my foot into this 404, and will have to be careful to stay off of the wall. The 388 on roller cam was scary, so I hope the non-roller setup does not disappoint me...?

Jim
Old 12-06-2009, 01:42 PM
DRTRCR22
EXPERT BUILDER

Zip, here are the specs for this cam from JR Motorsports.com:
(NOTE: the book shows slightly different numbers, they upgraded the specs since last printing) I've heard several times that circle track cams make excellent drag cams due to massive toque from the bottom end up thru the lights.

JR109H (the H for hardened) 260/270/106+4 from Custom Cams Inc.

Recommended range = 3200 rpm thru 7200 rpm

Duration @ .050 = I 260, E 270

Lift w/ 1.5 rockers = I .561, E .578

Lobe lift = I .343, E .385

Lobe speration 106*

Lash (hot) = I .020, E .022

Standard SBC firing order

The cam costs $200, and the Crower lifters with oiling hole in face (EDM)are $164

This sounds like a cam kit that may work for your application when time to change it out again...?

Jim
Old 12-06-2009, 03:49 PM
stickboy331
APPRENTICE

we lost a cam on the dyno last summer, in 350 2bbl dirt mod. it was a p55 core with hi polish hyd lifters, and brad penn break in oil. we were running z28 springs for break in,only took about 20 minutes :cry: checked the system one filter and found iron in there. the lifters were worn more than the cam. only 3 and not real bad junk just, the same filter trapped all the junk,swapped out the cam&lifters ran great.the last one that went flat had joe gibbs in it,that was in 2007. we like the crower lifters with flats on the sides hyd, or edm holes solid. since then we have ben checking lobe taper on every cam. some cams dont have much=low or no lifter rotation. it olny takes one bad lobe, and you cant tell by looking i ran 3.56 stroke 400s 404 sounds like fun stickboy331
Old 12-06-2009, 04:56 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by DRTRCR22
Zip, here are the specs for this cam from JR Motorsports.com:
(NOTE: the book shows slightly different numbers, they upgraded the specs since last printing) I've heard several times that circle track cams make excellent drag cams due to massive toque from the bottom end up thru the lights.

JR109H (the H for hardened) 260/270/106+4 from Custom Cams Inc.

Recommended range = 3200 rpm thru 7200 rpm

Duration @ .050 = I 260, E 270

Lift w/ 1.5 rockers = I .561, E .578

Lobe lift = I .343, E .385

Lobe speration 106*

Lash (hot) = I .020, E .022

Standard SBC firing order

The cam costs $200, and the Crower lifters with oiling hole in face (EDM)are $164

This sounds like a cam kit that may work for your application when time to change it out again...?

Jim
The Bullit cam i have is jus a little bigger and it was a killer in the 406 i was running. I got talked into changing to a roller and alcohol toliet bowl and only picked up 1/10= $1,000.00 plus dollars ops:

Zip.

Here that cam,i installed it at 102*
Old 12-06-2009, 08:18 PM
DRTRCR22
EXPERT BUILDER

That's cool Zip... I wish they would let us run rollers in IMCA...?
BTW, how do you paste the pic on your replies? I wanted to copy and past my cam card but couldn't figure out how to do it...?

Yeah Stick, I guess it does not matter how good of oil you put in, if you got a bad grind and the lifters don't spin, it is only a matter of a couple minutes before it is total trash. And, hopefully the lifters don't mushroom so bad you have to take the entire engine apart and turn it upside down to beat them out from the bottom side. Been there done that a couple times... :evil:
Fortunatly, over the last 10 years I have only lost two cams that way... I guess I have been real lucky. I look at these cam kits on sale for $100 on eBay right now and just shutter thinking about the quality you get for a hundred bucks...?
Jim
Old 12-06-2009, 09:56 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

It's not a copy and paste, you first have to upload in on the net , i use (http://photobucket.com/) upload your photo and use the bottom URL after it's uploaded. You will have to sign up for an account, no problem there, and it goes into you albums. You can store vids,pics,etc. Easy and free.
If you need more help pm me and i will send you all that's needed.

Zip.