Clutch /presure plate

Old 01-22-2010, 03:49 PM
rich970
APPRENTICE

Default Clutch /presure plate

I was wondering if anyone has ran a bronze faced presure plate ? If so i was wondering how it worked ? Thanks Rich
Old 01-22-2010, 09:52 PM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

The bronze faced is an aggressive disc. It won't slip and is hard on the rest of the driveline. I don't think there are many people still using those for racing and I wouldn't recommend using it.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:32 PM
rich970
APPRENTICE

no not a bronze disc. a bronze face on the presure plate with a sintered iron disc
Old 01-23-2010, 08:50 PM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

Sorry, I should pay better attention. I run a sintered iron disc with steel inserts on both the flywheel & pressure plate. I don't know what the reason would be for running bronze insert. I would think it would make a difference with the frictional coefficience. You can go to http://umtrdragrace.com/ and check out the forum there. It's all stick car racing and there is more clutch and manual transmission info there than you will find anywhere else.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:28 AM
rich970
APPRENTICE

thanks i have been at that site for a while now i have seen the picturet of that car there a lot . dose your p.p. have a insert on it? i was more wondering about inserts steel or bronze i have never saw one like that. this is my firtst rebuild on my ram p.p thanks again Rich
Old 01-28-2010, 07:19 PM
jed5161
CRAFTSMAN

from what i understand while being around a blown pro mod which we ran for many years with an AFT clutch, the bronze insert will be more forgiving and will be more consistant than the steel. Once seated in after a few passes with the bronze the clutch would hardly wear at all and require very little change in tune up unlike the steel which we would always be throwing more clutch at it after every run as clutch got hot. With AFT, it was a fight to get them to keep the bronze insert on the floaters. They always wanted to put in the steel saying it was better.