hard filled sbc overheats real bad

Old 09-06-2012, 10:35 AM
chevyart
MASTER BUILDER

Default overheat

thanks again guys.. hey rughtway. the answer is yes about the car going faster as the day goes on and it is hotter, and the engines is retaining more heat. (it goes about a tenth or a little more faster.) one thing i did notice is that before i changed the jets when carb was real, real lean, was that the response was extremely fast when i hit the gas and is was very very crisp, and would go to 5,000 in a FLASH. AFTER I FATTENED THE SAME CARB UP TO WHERE IT IS NOW (AND ITS PROBABLY STILL TOO LEAN) THE RESPONSE WAS not as crispy and it jumped up only to around 4500 rpms with the same little hit on the throttle. another thing is that through ETs from 11.5 to 11.1 the mph was always 119. the car would not launch hard at all. it came out straight and has new slicks and didnt spin, just seemed no to have good power. I am putting on the bigger carb today(aprox 800-820 cfms) and i have the jetting at 84-84 and no power valves. quick fuel said that is where i should start at for the track. i want to thank all you guys for showing a nice interest with the problems i have. its really been an education about reading the plugs and learning what lean out conditions do and how they can reallly badly affect alot of things on the engine..im not there yet but i will definitely keep all of you informed as i go along. i will check and alter every little thing that you all have suggested.. Anyone yet about me running lines from water pump to sides of block above the hard block. i want to do this so badly that i can taste it. thanks art
Old 09-06-2012, 11:19 AM
wrightway
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Re: overheat

Originally Posted by "chevyart
Anyone yet about me running lines from water pump to sides of block above the hard block. i want to do this so badly that i can taste it. thanks art

i think you need to find the root of the problem first.
My unprofessional opinion is those ports don't cool more or faster but will evenout the cylinder head temps as the center cylinders run hotter.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:38 PM
wazup
EXPERT BUILDER

Default Re: overheat

Originally Posted by wrightway
Originally Posted by "chevyart
Anyone yet about me running lines from water pump to sides of block above the hard block. i want to do this so badly that i can taste it. thanks art

i think you need to find the root of the problem first.
My unprofessional opinion is those ports don't cool more or faster but will evenout the cylinder head temps as the center cylinders run hotter.
I told Art that i ran lines from the center(by the head gasket) of the heads(not the block) to the water pump to keep the head cooler as we were running nitrous. This helps as the two exhaust valves are together wright there and helps from blowing the head gasket between the cylinders. Running the lines in the block is going to do nothing as it is below the head gasket,you want to cool it at the two exhaust ports.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:01 PM
wazup
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by zipper06
Originally Posted by wazup
Zip just got to love them blowers. What kinda car is that a vega.

I have been waiting on some of you guys to jump in and try and help Art, just to many things with out being there to look at it.
No Robert, it's in my friends very ugly 1963 Dodge Dart. When i built the engine i already had my 377" in my Malibu, so i just want to try the motor out and he had his motor out so that's how that happened. It ran pretty good until i cracked a cylinder and the block was filled all the way to the deck, but then i was running 30% OD and pushing 40 PSI of boost with a good Littlefield blower. I still have the whole setup but need a good Dart blk to put it back together as a 383 with alum rods.

Zip.
I have allways loved that idle as it goes up and down and lunges. Thats alot of presure for a stock block. I know that the stock blocks are not very thick and rough on cylinder walls. I had tree different blocks all #4 cylinder crack never found out way but after that i would poor all my blocks up to the water pump holes. If i here of anyone around here with a block for sale i will give you a call.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:08 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by zipper06
Zip just got to love them blowers. What kinda car is that a vega.

I have been waiting on some of you guys to jump in and try and help Art, just to many things with out being there to look at it.
No Robert, it's in my friends very ugly 1963 Dodge Dart. When i built the engine i already had my 377" in my Malibu, so i just want to try the motor out and he had his motor out so that's how that happened. It ran pretty good until i cracked a cylinder and the block was filled all the way to the deck, but then i was running 30% OD and pushing 40 PSI of boost with a good Littlefield blower. I still have the whole setup but need a good Dart blk to put it back together as a 383 with alum rods.

Zip.
I have allways loved that idle as it goes up and down and lunges. Thats alot of presure for a stock block. I know that the stock blocks are not very thick and rough on cylinder walls. I had tree different blocks all #4 cylinder crack never found out way but after that i would poor all my blocks up to the water pump holes. If i here of anyone around here with a block for sale i will give you a call.
The blk was setup as good as could be done with a stock blk, splayed steel main caps hi nickle 010 blk, O'ringed and reciever grooves in the heads. It was the #8 cylinder on the outside cracked down from top about 1" down, just enough to burn down the top ring land on the piston. I think it was probably a casting flaw maybe a sand pocket in the block. it wasn't exrayed before assy. I learned my lesson on stock blks with blowers.
It did run 4.62 on a short track (620 ft lg)

Zip.

Zip.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:32 AM
wazup
EXPERT BUILDER

Zip, what head gaskets do you use with your blower motors, with todays engines.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:12 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I was using .043 soft copper on that engine, but i no longer O'ring the blk or put reciever grooves in the heads.
I now use the ICS copper with the embedded stainless O'rings, They were using them on twin turbo engines, pushing big boost so i figured they would hold a blower motor as well. I haven't had any trouble yet and they are around $200.00 a set, much cheaper than O'ringing and recieaver grooves. i know the top fuel and top alcohol cars are still o'ringing but they are pushing 60 lbs boost with the screw type blowers, my blower is 1471 roots, built by mert Littlefield (RIP) i had known Mert since the mid 80's, when i had a 540" blown Rodek engine.

Zip.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:55 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

zip, did i ever tell you you are my hero!!!lol
Old 09-08-2012, 07:41 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by outlaw256
zip, did i ever tell you you are my hero!!!lol
Outlaw, i shouldn't be a hero, Racing has been in my life since i was 16 yrs. old, and i still love it today.
On another note, i may have the opertunity to meet you within the next yr. my sister sold her house in Owen-X-Roads, but bought an acre lot on top of Lookout mountain, and is now having a cabin built on it. The guy is only doing the shell,flooring, and house wrap on the outside. We're comming over there Thanksgiving so i can do the siding and box the eves, so i'll be traveling over there thruout the next yr. doing the inside. i've said it before but almost all of my relatives are buried over there. So one of these days i'll get your Ph# and give you buzz when i'm in your neck of the woods and stop by.( if you'll let a Lexas pull in your driveway :lol: ) I'd love to see your toys.
O'h by the way the guy that's doing the framing of the cabin is also a drag racer, he lives on Lookout mountain, but the bad is he runs Mopars :lol:

Zip.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:25 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

You are RIGHT , Mopars are BAD !!!

Lexus ? Ken will make you park out by the mailbox and hike in !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -