Looking For DIY Info On Chassis Construction

Old 10-13-2013, 10:22 AM
kend
JOURNEYMAN

Default Looking For DIY Info On Chassis Construction

There's lots of info on this site I'd like to find more pictures that would give me some ideas before I start on my Vega chassis, any other forums out there that have chassis and suspension construction info and pics? Evidently my Google skills need work. Thanks
Old 10-13-2013, 12:38 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Do a search for "H" body. Lots of them out there.

http://v8hbodytalk.yuku.com/forums/3...s#.UlsEf2vD_IV
Old 10-13-2013, 03:26 PM
kend
JOURNEYMAN

I've been through those and a couple others that are focused on the H body but most of those threads are old and don't have a lot of pictures. It doesn't have to be a Vega forum, just chassis in general that would give me some ideas.
Thanks
Old 10-13-2013, 04:27 PM
fla1976
RACING JUNKIE

Are you building a new chassis or modifying a stock frame?
Old 10-14-2013, 03:03 AM
itsabird
RACING JUNKIE

Go to chris alston's chassiswork, and click on tech center, you may find some helpful info there.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:33 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

If your 100% sure your gonna build your own from scratch...Go ahead and buy the SFI spec manual that tells you step by step where bar placement goes along with proper wall thickness and OD on tubing...don't know what type chassis you have u have in mind but you can get the SFI SPEC from 6.0 moly on up...of course Alston, chasssis engineering are two very reputable vendors on selling un welded kits.

If it were me I would check into the pre fabricated cage and build from there..at least you know you are gonna be all over certification and still plenty of fab work left for you...and the price is not much difference to me anyhow for the time etccc you will have invested at this point.

JMO

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 10-14-2013, 12:50 PM
itsabird
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bjuice
If your 100% sure your gonna build your own from scratch...Go ahead and buy the SFI spec manual that tells you step by step where bar placement goes along with proper wall thickness and OD on tubing...don't know what type chassis you have u have in mind but you can get the SFI SPEC from 6.0 moly on up...of course Alston, chasssis engineering are two very reputable vendors on selling un welded kits.

If it were me I would check into the pre fabricated cage and build from there..at least you know you are gonna be all over certification and still plenty of fab work left for you...and the price is not much difference to me anyhow for the time etccc you will have invested at this point.

JMO
ditto.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:55 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

The only thing that i wouls suggest if you go with a Cris Alston chassis kit, i'd go with a rec, tube frame.
I've got a Alston 1941 willys tube chassis model 7401 with blue prints and was a nightmare, it's almost done now, just unmounting the body finish welding the roll cage and doing the front suspension.

JMO

Zip.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:08 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by zipper06
The only thing that i wouls suggest if you go with a Cris Alston chassis kit, i'd go with a rec, tube frame.
JMO

Zip.
x2 For the 90% of us who don't mind the weight difference between round tube and rectangular tubing, you will save tons in headaches when you start squaring up and welding tabs and mounts. Even though we have a jig / plumb bob setup, we still buy the factory welded 4 link kits. It makes for a clean accurate beginning.