New tranny,better times..

Old 10-02-2007, 02:43 PM
woodsman
DYNO OPERATOR

Brian or Tom or anyone else that has run in the low 5's or high 4's. I am wondering if you have a thought on this I am running a 1.64 in trans 4:11 rear gear and a 5500 stall thats going well over 5500 after we installed this engine set up. Do you think this set up will get me the best ET at the track. First I am going to get the engine running right and then do some fine tuning. Whats your opinion on this set up.3000lb car.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:35 PM
topsportsman1
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Wesley
I'd say that converter is wayyyyy too loose for that procharged engine,I bet you are loosing alot of ET with it,in fact I bet its creating alot of heat in it.
I bet your blowing right through the converter.

The gearing might be Ok with that 4.11 gear and 1.64 trans,but as you get stepping that thing up,I'll bet your going to need to change the rear gears as well,
If its going to be more of a street cruser you definatly want to change the gear
Old 10-02-2007, 03:37 PM
gdmii
MASTER BUILDER

Wesley, the best thing you can do is get that thing on a dyno and see where your peak tq and hp are. That'll take a lot of guess work out of finding the right converter.

George
Old 10-02-2007, 04:24 PM
woodsman
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by topsportsman1
Wesley
I'd say that converter is wayyyyy too loose for that procharged engine,I bet you are loosing alot of ET with it,in fact I bet its creating alot of heat in it.
I bet your blowing right through the converter.

The gearing might be Ok with that 4.11 gear and 1.64 trans,but as you get stepping that thing up,I'll bet your going to need to change the rear gears as well,
If its going to be more of a street cruser you definatly want to change the gear
Tom I plan has had to change with this engine set up I was going more for the street but has went a little over the top on hp so I think I am going for the more track an show. I have 14/32 et streets for tires an was thinking about going with a 4:86 gear after I get it lined out. You are right about the converter its way to loose.I called Marty and talked to him and he said that I moved the goal post on him with the added HP. So will have to send it back to him later to tighten it up some. The pass I may was very light but after I got around 4500 RPM'S it came alive an stayed that way the last half of the 1/8th.

George I know what you are saying and I have had it on the dyno but just got scaried of it and spent $490.00 for getting it close.But did learn that on the track I was running out of fuel where as on the dyno I was not because I would not stay in it long enough. Any way guy's thinks for the ideas.