converter question

Old 07-26-2012, 04:47 AM
john910
CRAFTSMAN

Default converter question

does it hurt to shift from reverse to drive before the car comes to a complete stop. i have a 1700 lb. car sbc. maybe 400 hp. with a glide. sometimes i shift to drive when car is moving at maybe the most 1/2 mph. i have been told it is harmfull. i have done is all my life in my street cars with no problem? any help would be nice.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:02 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: converter question

Originally Posted by john910
does it hurt to shift from reverse to drive before the car comes to a complete stop. i have a 1700 lb. car sbc. maybe 400 hp. with a glide. sometimes i shift to drive when car is moving at maybe the most 1/2 mph. i have been told it is harmfull. i have done is all my life in my street cars with no problem? any help would be nice.
I think you have answered your own question.

Although you haven't lived your whole life yet. :lol: :lol:

Curtis
Old 07-26-2012, 06:28 AM
john910
CRAFTSMAN

Default converter

if i answered my question is it ok or bad.?
Old 07-26-2012, 07:09 AM
john910
CRAFTSMAN

Default converter

i should say bad for the converter/ sprag? i was told that when i go from rev. to drive the car is still moving just a bit. my thought is the converter is alway going in the same direction that it wouldn't hurt it.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:03 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Sorry, didn't mean to come across as a smart ass. I don't think you are hurting anything at all. I bet most people have done it more than they would admit. The converter not being tied solid to the input shaft has some cushion with the fluid. That being said, the load when you take off it much, much greater than when you are rolling backwards slightly. I certainly can't argue that it is not the right thing to do, but I myself have never worried about it when I have done it. Hope that helps.

Curtis

P.S. Maybe the people worried about it should use better parts :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 07-26-2012, 08:30 AM
john910
CRAFTSMAN

Default converter

thanks i don't think it would hurt anything, i did call a major trans company and was told the samething as i thought. just want to know and let a friend know that is telling me is was bad.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:31 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Heck MAN, get some SPEED going before you drop into DRIVE ! Gotta do that on a tarry old back road in the heat of the summer ! LOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooonnnnng black marks with all sorts of curly q's.