In your opinion what caused this?

Old 04-06-2010, 09:05 AM
traysvega
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default In your opinion what caused this?

388 sbc I bought .

Thanks for you input in advance.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:06 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Epoxy?

It is hard to tell exactly what I am looking at by these photos, but if that is a thin coat of epoxy that was used to seal a cracked block and then painted to cover it up, that is what I would expect to happen. As for the condensate in the valve cover, it could be normal if the oil still looks clean. Most Racing engines run cool and show condensate in that area if you have started up without getting hot before shut down. These could be two different issues, but the block, if it is how it looks, give it a toss in a lake for the fish or dumpster if you are green.
Bruce
Old 04-06-2010, 10:38 AM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

The paint cracking on the side of the block makes me think it was full of water and froze......just a guess though
Johnny
Old 04-06-2010, 10:42 AM
traysvega
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Re: Epoxy?

Originally Posted by TopspeedLowet
It is hard to tell exactly what I am looking at by these photos, but if that is a thin coat of epoxy that was used to seal a cracked block and then painted to cover it up, that is what I would expect to happen. As for the condensate in the valve cover, it could be normal if the oil still looks clean. Most Racing engines run cool and show condensate in that area if you have started up without getting hot before shut down. These could be two different issues, but the block, if it is how it looks, give it a toss in a lake for the fish or dumpster if you are green.
Bruce
Nope no epoxy at all.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:43 AM
traysvega
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by johnracer
The paint cracking on the side of the block makes me think it was full of water and froze......just a guess though
Johnny
I believe the same.Just like to have more opinions for the seller(he's wanting to make it right)...Thanks
Old 04-06-2010, 04:58 PM
mackrace
SHOW GUEST

could it be paint?duplicolor black with ceramic can get pretty thick if you put a bunch of coats on. 8)
Old 04-07-2010, 07:09 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Looks like it might be an old heat issue. Either from within or from header/head gasket leak. Without actually feeling if it's 'bulged' it's hard to tell.
Does this thing still rotate smoothly ?
Old 04-07-2010, 02:21 PM
traysvega
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by DrivingMissDD
Looks like it might be an old heat issue. Either from within or from header/head gasket leak. Without actually feeling if it's 'bulged' it's hard to tell.
Does this thing still rotate smoothly ?
Still runs.Oil has water in it(again).Lots more than just your "normal condensation"Turns my snap on head gasket yellow(combustion in the radiator),and my 20 plus years of exp. looks to me like it frooze,block expanded and paint poped and created 2 small cracks,one on each side.Reason the freeze out plugs didn't do their job was the block is concreted from bottom of water pump holes down.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:09 PM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

JUNK BLOCK--BOAT ANCHOR 8) 8)
Old 04-07-2010, 10:14 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

If the integrity of the block (internally) is ok, I got a nickle rod and a rose bud that will fix it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -