Custom solid roller camshaft

Old 08-10-2020, 04:14 PM
purpledragon
SHOW GUEST

Default Custom solid roller camshaft

I bought this roller quite some time back. Was in a dirt Late Model, it's a beautiful piece,can't remember who's cam it is. BUT, it has a gear on the cam that's pinned and looks like some kind of composite. I am putting it in my 421 sbc v-drive lake hot rod,and need to know what kind of dizzy gear to use so I don't run in to trouble. Any help is very much appreciated!!.....Thanks, Ken
Old 08-13-2020, 05:26 PM
purpledragon
SHOW GUEST

64 views and nobody has an idea what I have here? Come on guys I need some help here,hate to put the dragster cam back in it,the grind isn't right for the boat. Want to have it set up and tuned for the water, for Labor Day.....Help
Old 08-14-2020, 04:07 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

post up a picture of what you are asking about

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 08-24-2020, 11:11 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

I have purchased several custom cams from Howards and one option is the distributor drive gear option. Instead of the entire camshaft being a one piece induction hardened steel, you can request a pinned on distributor drive gear. This allows me to run a cast iron distributor gear instead of a bronze or composite gear.
Running wet sump, I've chewed up several bronze gears with heavy duty oil pumps and big RPM's. The bearings can absorb bronze particles better than metal but still require frequent major maintenance.