I need some input from all the "gun guys" out ther

Old 11-21-2011, 07:12 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Well the guns are cleaned and put away, dont think I could ever sell any of them. Might trade one for a nice semi-auto pistol in the future but the time I spent time taking them all apart and cleaning gave me a great appreciation for what they are and what they meant to him. The wife and I spent the last 5 weekends cleaning out his shed and property and all I can say is HOLY CRAP! I quess over the last 40+ years it all built up slowly and I never really noticed how bad it was. We hauled off 7 1/2 tons of scrapmetal and filled 2 large dumpsters full of junk. That doesnt include what we burned. I hope he gets to come back home but I doubt it since the dimentia just keeps getting worse. If he does, he's probably gonna be pissed but I feel better knowing if he does decide to go work on something he wont be tripping or falling down over the mess. Here are the before and after pics.
Inside the shed...

Outside the front of the shed...

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 11-21-2011, 07:31 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

:shock: :shock:
Man, 'bone, I need you guys to work My shop over !

Old 11-21-2011, 07:45 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

want to come to my shop? i will gladley pay you !!lol
Old 11-21-2011, 07:54 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Thank goodness for my buddies skid steer, end loader and dump truck! We hauled off all those mowers, a few engines, an old brake lathe, trannys, snowblowers, etc. in 3 dump truck loads. I got to give grandma $1500 for the scrap we hauled off. I am wooped, the last 5 weekends have been nothing but work and filth. Looking forward to kicking back this weekend, having Friday off, enjoy a few beers and some turkey time with the wife and dog. I love my grandpa, he pretty much raised me, taught me how to work on cars, how anything and everything functions, showed me how to safely handle any weapon, gave me my 1st beer, showed me my 1st Playboy, gave me my 1st ass-whooping, etc, etc, etc. So this has been pretty trying, physically and mentally...

Old 11-21-2011, 03:06 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Honor him by being the most honorable person you can be.
The place looks great after you'all's hard and dedicated work !
Old 11-21-2011, 03:56 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Hey Harb,

Sorry to hear about G-Pa. Sounds like a fine man. That dementia is a tough deal. I am sorry bud. Gun values can be disappointing... and they can be very surprising too. The best thing is that you are not in any hurry to unload them. You can't replace the sentimental value they have most times; maybe they should be saved for your grandkids. Nice job on the place!! Did G-Pa have any factory COPO parts lying around the shop?? LOl. Man, that is allot of stuff you hauled off!!

I just got a Kel Tech 9MM new that I traded for some compound bow stuff; it is a tiny little gun & super "packable"... not a high end gun... but so very small for a 9MM. You might look at one of those; plus they are cheap. Amazingly accurate when you hold it gangsta sideways... great self defense gun. Scooter
Old 11-21-2011, 06:06 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Rigsby
; Amazingly accurate when you hold it gangsta sideways... great self defense gun. Scooter
LOLOL YEAH at 5 feet with the target moving to the LEFT ! :shock: :shock:
Old 11-21-2011, 06:17 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Harbone, if it were me you couldn't buy one of those guns from me. Your G-Pa kept them till this late in his life and I would do the same thing. No amount of money is worth some things to me. The older I get the more things mean to me.

If you sold the guns yes, it's some $, but what will that little bit of money do? Not much and I don't think your a guy that needs a few $ for Christmas money.

IMO put them in a safe then one day pull them out and just hold onto them and think about the good times your G-Pa had hunting with them.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:50 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

I know Rabbit. After spending a few nights cleaning them all up I decided they are gonna stay with me for a long time. Theres a guy in town that does great wood work. I am going to have him make me a couple individual wall mount display cases for the antique ones. It was actually the wifes idea, she thought they would look nice upstairs hanging off the exposed beams of the house or above the fireplace. Its been a long 5 weeks dealing with all this and it isnt over yet.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:16 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

When my dad passed on a few years back, us kids went through the same type of deal. My brother and I got the shop stuff and sisters got household stuff.
There are a few hand tools (hammers, saws, etc.) that he had when we were tiny tots. Every time I use them now, I can feel my dad's presence in them. He built or remodeled every home we lived in so these tools have seen thousands of hours of his hard working hands and fertile mind.
I just hope my own kids or grand kids will appreciate them in this fashion when I'm gone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -