headers question

Old 12-18-2009, 10:53 AM
mooneye777
MASTER BUILDER

Default headers question

I have a pro comp dragster that came as a roller minus motor only. It was ran as a 7.90 class car, but I am am bumping it back to a super comp 8.90 class car. My question is, it came with a nice set of ceramic coated zoomies. Would these headers effect the performance of a mild set up BBC compared to a set of upswept or downswept headers. Or is it apples and oranges, I love the zoonies look but want what works best. Thanks in advance for some good advice !
Old 12-18-2009, 12:41 PM
TS1955
DYNO OPERATOR

If you decide on a collector type header...go with a down-swept header. Upswepts are always in the way and a pain in the butt!

TS1955
Old 12-18-2009, 01:44 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Headers are normally a guess, zoomies used to be on my motor before I bought it, it was faster but he didnt like them and neither do I, I put chrome dynatechs on it and then switched to perf welding headers.
I think the 8.90 nhra stuff you arent going to get away with zoomies they used to enforce the noise rule not so much anymroe but I dunno if zommies would fly.

upswepts they keep the car cleaner lol downs are out of the way and look better ...
Old 12-18-2009, 02:53 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Like David, I went with the chrome Dynatech headers. After 1 season I shipped them up the road and I went with Fab Shop headers. His radius bends and merge collectors are second to none. Tim is not a 1 header fits most shop. He makes his headers for your combo.

http://www.fabshopheaders.com/catego...downswept.html

Take the time to call and talk to Tim. He is a wealth of information and unlike many of the companies, he is willing to share what he knows in order to help you make the right decision, even if it is not his header.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:46 AM
mooneye777
MASTER BUILDER

thanks for the advice guys. I will keep an eye out for a used set, probably a needle in a haystack, but I have all winter. My thought was the noise level also. I am getting old and my hearing is horrible anyway. I prefer quieter these days, but almost anything goes at our local track as far as noise level.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:30 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Upswepts are as noted, very much in the way of any work on the engine, any time; AND you need a flapper cap to keep gravel from being slung into them as you are moving the car around with the engine off. Don't need to fill up a cylinder with pebbles or water ! There are some really good high perf 'racing' mufflers nowadays that actually enhance performance over an open system. A good engine builder/tuner has this(mufflers) in mind when working up the specs for an engine combo that will see mufflers.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:44 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/0...ollectors.html

check these out, they are in a good price range and light, not really worth any et on my combo but they do look fast sitting there

he also sells them ebay once and awhile you can get them for 700-750
I am happy with mine ..
Old 12-19-2009, 01:15 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Chris at Nitroplate has a nice set for sale with fresh coating. Check them out:

http://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/t...42/m/196101072
Old 12-19-2009, 05:37 PM
johnracer
DYNO OPERATOR

A buddy of mine has a set of 2 1/4 tube downswepts, silver coated with Borla collector muffs that he'd like to sell. Let me know if interested and I'll pm you his phone number.......
Johnny