Howling sound

Old 10-11-2007, 05:26 PM
woodsman
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Howling sound

Have gone from a open carrier with 4:11 gear to 4:56 spool and now when you let off the gas there is a howling sound but don't do it under power is this normal. Has anyone had this happen to them.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:49 PM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

Sounds like the backlash isn't right.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:57 PM
woodsman
DYNO OPERATOR

Its on my brothers truck and I think they are going to have to pull it back out and check I just thought it would make that sound with a spool.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:35 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

I don't think it is a matter of backlash. I think it is more along the lines of incorrect pinion depth. In my opinion there is no ecuse in this if the person setting up the rear enhd knows what they are doing and has correct tools and takes the time to do it right. IT will not get better even if someone tells you it can. It can get worse though.

When setting up a ring and pinion it is important to get the correct pinion deopth and backlash with a good tooth contact pattern on both the drive side and the coast side on the gear set. I always put a hard load on them to resist rotation, making rotation to be difficult and require force to check contact patterns on both drive and on coast side of gears. The pattern I shoot for varies with gear materials and actual application.

I am pretty sure you can go to Randy's Ring and Pinion and see some charts pics and details and possibly troubleshooting onfo.

Ed

PS,
If using a spool on the street be sure you do not have Strange Engineering Race Axles in it. They will break uless the tires slip easily when turning hard corners. Moser. Mark Williams is ok.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:02 PM
woodsman
DYNO OPERATOR

Thanks guy's for the info. He is going to have to get it checked out again.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:24 AM
SST4530
DYNO TECH

Just changeing to a spool has nothing to do with how the gears mesh and they should run just as quiet as before.

I agree with Ed completley on this. Typically the if the pinion depth is correct and drive side patter is good the coast side should be also.

We typically set the backlash between .006" and .008" I don't recommend any more than .010" worse case but only on a street aplication. if you have to go more than that to get your pattern you've got pinion depth issues. So back to the drawing board. Backlash can have an adverse effect on tooth contact just as pinion depth does and if a guy isn't using the correct tools and measureing equipment to check backlash, shim thickness and set bearing preload it won't be right.

Good Luck :wink: